Setting up WDS network with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StephenCampbell, Aug 6, 2011.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Hello,

I have a kind of urgent situation here... I need to get this network up and running. There is an airport express in the basement, from which a functional wireless network is emitted, and I have two other Airport Express's that I want to plug in on the upper level to extend the range of the network.

When I do all the settings correctly in the airport utility for the main express, then I'm unable to connect to the second express to set it on WDS as well.

In other words, I can access the settings of either one as long as neither is set on WDS. The minute I set the main one on WDS (and put in the ID of the secondary one, etc), then when I go into the secondary one to set it as WDS secondary, it doesn't let me in, it won't connect. I have to go back and set the main one back to "create a network" in order to be able to access settings on the secondary one. And if I do the settings right on the secondary one Before going in and setting the main one on WDS, then I can't get into the main one... it's the same thing.

This is under Mac OS 10.5, by the way.

Help!

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

set up the main one as normal,
    connect to that wi-fi from your computer.

then connect an ethernet cable from your laptop to the remote express (one at a time) to set them up

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, the people I was working for decided to just buy a new AirPort express (the ones they were using were five or six years old, 802.11g). Would this fix of yours really work do you think? Maybe I should try it before setting up the new one?

Also, will the 802.11n express be able to transmit airplay to an 802.11g express? Because currently they have one of the upstairs ones connected to a sound system, so if the n is strong enough that they don't need any more in terms of internet connection throughout the house, it would be a shame to have to buy a second one just to have the audio on the second floor.

4. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if the 802.11n will be able to transmit airplay to the 802.11g?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

what mode is the n one transmitting in? if the N express is transmitting in "G compatible", then the g express will be compatible.

6. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Can it transmit in G compatible while emitting an "N caliber" internet connection?

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

G is faster than most home internet connections, the only place you'll see an increase using N is internal file transfers from one computer on your network to another.

so "N (B/G compatible)" is probably faster than your home connection.
    also compatible mode is 2.4 GHz (non-compatible is 5 GHz), and has better "penetrating" power when it encounters obstacles in your house like walls so you'll get better range out of it.

*wireless speeds and range can vary greatly depending on the environment in which they are used. so if you've got a poor quality G connection, it might be slower than your connection.