Setting Up Web Redirects for Home Leopard Server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by crees!, Dec 28, 2008.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I have a couple computers I do development on along with a server (Leopard Server) at home. What I would like to do is host my development sites on the server and be able to access them via a development URL. Now I know how to do this locally with Virtual Hosts and editing the hosts config file just fine. Where I'm stumbling is I entered the IP of the server in hosts.config on one of the machines and the URL I'd like to use, but when I access that URL it gets directed to the main site on the server and not the one I created. How can I get Leopard Server to translate the mysite.dev request to the proper hosted site?

hosts config:
    192.168.1.10 mysite.dev

Thanks.

PS - I tried redirecting by messing with my router but couldn't figure that bit out. It would be nice to do it that way because I would just have to add a new entry in the router and then every computer would automatically be redirected than having to edit each machines' hosts config file separately.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I haven't done it, but I believe you would also use a port number on the virtual hosts. Then you can set the router to listen for that port number and redirect accordingly.

3. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Thanks for the reply. I started to look in another direction and found the answer. The default main site on Leopard Server automatically has an alias of *. So that'll override any virtual hosts (aliases) set up. I ended up adding the domain names I wanted to use under the Aliases tab, removed the * alias from the default site, then have each machine's hosts.conf pointing to the ip of the server with the desired domain name. I might eventually veer to having the router forward specific domain requests to the server but now all is working and maybe I can get some work done. :D awesome.