Setting up WEP with AE?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aaquib, Aug 28, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Is there any way? I only see a WPA2 setting on Airport utility, but one of my USB adapters for a PC doesn't support that.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you use the Airport Utility, you can select WEP or WPA2 as your wireless security. WPA2 is more secure, but you can go either way.

3. el3ctone macrumors member

Wireless-N only supports WPA2.

.........i think...........

4. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Ah, ok I got it. You actually have to double click the AE on AU to get a new menu, then go to the wireless tab and then there's an option for WEP.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. AE is 802.11a/b/g/n compatible and supports WEP/WPA/WPA2.

6. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Yes, but the 802.11n standard disallows (or at least strongly deprecates) WEP. I think it was disallowed in an earlier draft (and in earlier AEBS firmware), but you're right, the AEBS seems to let you enable it now.

The issue is that WEP can be trivially broken (on the order of seconds) by commonly available software. It's kind of like putting a lock with only 4 possible combinations on your door - it turns trespass into break and enter, but isn't really going to stop anyone who wants to get in.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

WEP provides very weak security, but it is better than nothing. While WPA/WPA2 is recommended, some devices don't support it, as the OP states.