Setting up wireless network

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Glennster, May 4, 2014.

1. Glennster macrumors regular

I am throwing away my desktop PC which is plugged into the router, etc.

Can a wireless network be maintained when all I have will be the MacBook ?

2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Should be no problem, for most wireless routers to make setting changes I think "don't quote me on this " you would have to hook up a CAT5 cable / hard wired , but just to change settings . But over all I think you'd be fine.

Is there a reason you think you'd have a problem?

3. Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

I am just used to having my old machine hooked up but since I am ditching and going MacBook I am a little unclear when nothing is plugged in 24/7.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

There shouldn't be an issue, as long as you can see and connect to your wireless network with the mac.

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

As long as you hold on to that (wireless) router, you're fine. The wireless router is the item creating the wireless network, and it doesn't care whether it's a desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet, playstation or whatever accessing it, once it is set up in "Utilities" on your main computer, whichever that is or becomes.

Some info on setting up a network on your MacBook here and here.

6. Cubytus macrumors 65816

As a precaution you'd want to keep this Ethernet cable and reset your router. Some of them prevent non-wired connections to access the configuration pages. There's a rather small chance of it, though.

7. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Sure, as long as you can connect to it and remember the encryption password there should be no issue. My MBA, my Mac Pro, and my phone all have access to my WiFi network through my wireless router.

Lou

8. Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

And U don't have the router wired to any computer at all times?

9. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

If you also had a desktop with a permanent location, that might be preferable, but is not necessary.

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

No. Both Macs and my phone are all using there internal WiFi cards.

Lou

Attached Files:

11. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

If you're going with a new MacBook Air you should consider the AirPort Base Station as a wireless access point. The darn thing practically sets itself up, and you basically just watch it via AirPort Utility. I set my last one up via my iPhone.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you are happy with your WIFI and plan no major changes, everything should be good. Once in a while, if you feel like doing major tweaking with the WIFI, it's convenient to have an ethernet hook up, a $30 bux accessory for the Mac.

13. Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

I want to be able to use my MacBook wirelessly to see who is on my network at any given time. Can this be done?

14. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^I' assuming you're using some kind of Firewall with WPA encryption. If you are, no one should have access to your WiFi without your approval.

Lou

15. Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

My wireless network is password protected. That I do know. Everything else I'm not sure.