setting up wireless network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wackymacky, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Probably very simple question. I am currently looking at getting a :apple:TV and a new iPhone.

My current computersm a new iMac and an old G4 (plus my printers) are hooked up to each other via wired (Ethernet) network and router to ADSL.

To go wireless with the :apple:TV and iPhone to search web and use iTunes can I just turn on WiFi on all three devices and set up a network, or do I need a SEPERATE wireless router/Air-base Extreme etc to set up a network?

Thanks.

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

You will need a wireless router (which it seems you don't have right now). If not get a AEBS from Apple or a Netgear 80211N wireless router - get the one that has Gigabit Ethernet it's faster for the cable connected devices.
    You will replace your existing router with the wireless one. Plug the Ethernet cable from your DSL modem into the appropriate port on the back of the router and plug the Ethernet cables from your iMac and G4 into the 4 available ports on the Netgear router.
    When you get your new router make sure you a.) change the default name (Netgear comes with the name Netgear :D) to something else (like John_Smiths_Router) and b.) turn on WPA2 encryption and set a password - this will stop your neighbors using your Internet connection (do not use WEP as it's not secure enough. To do this on a Netgear router you will need to open a browser window and enter the IP address of the router (the address should be on the router serial number sticker). For a AEBS follow the instructions in System Preferences.
    When you click on 'search for available networks' on your iPhone you will see John_Smith_Router as an available network. Click on it and enter the password and you're good to go. The same applies to the iMac and Apple TV.