Setting up wireless printing..?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tonicaek, Jul 18, 2011.

1. tonicaek macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm moving in with the other half and we're looking to hook the printer up so we can both use it - I'm assuming this can be done through the wireless network. We're both working from Macs, three in all each running SL, and the printer is a Canon Pixma IX4000. I've looked into getting an Airport router but don't have the funds to spare at the moment :( - was wondering if it's possible to connect the printer up directly through the router without having to fork out excessive amounts of cash?

Thanks!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

From google I can see that printer isn't a wireless/ethernet one. USB only.

So you have a couple of options. You could get a router with a USB port that supports printers, like the Apple Airport ones. However a 'standard' router doesn't have a USB port and won't be able to connect to your device.

You could enable printer sharing on a Mac. If you leave the printer plugged into the Mac and enable printer sharing in system preferences then other Macs on your network can share it. The downside is that the Mac plugged in must be switched on.

There are some adapters that can plug into the USB on your printer and allow wireless printing. Unfortunately many are unreliable and may be more hassle than they are worth.