Setting up xbox live via Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stone315, Feb 2, 2010.

1. stone315 macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm home from college for the term, and I'm trying to get Xbox Live working on my brother's 360, but he managed to lose the wireless adapter. Instead of dropping the $100 for a new one, I'm trying to adapt the Time Capsule I already own to the purpose. My house already has a private wifi network, but the router is downstairs and the 360 is upstairs so I can't just run an ethernet cable to it.

What I want to do is set up the Time Capsule in the same room as the 360, connect it to the existing wireless network, then run an ethernet cable from the Time Capsule to the 360 so the 360 can connect to live. I tried joining the existing network, but that sets the TC up as a client and doesn't allow anything connected to it via ethernet to access the internet. Airport Utility won't let me set up the TC as an extension of the existing network unless it's connected via ethernet to the original access point, and like I said earlier, running ethernet cable isn't an option.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

2. baylorfrawg macrumors newbie

The scenario you describe is possible. I extend the network of a TC from upstairs to my downstairs TV where I have my Xbox connected to a AEBS.

Within the settings of the router in the house, you would need to allow it to be 'extended.' Then in Airport Utility you select the time capsule and provide the network name and password of the house network. It would then extend the house network via wifi and ethernet.