Setting up your 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Foss, Nov 7, 2016.

?

Are you going to set-up your new MBP via:

1. Time Machine restore

16.4%
  2. Restore from clone

1.8%
  3. Start from scratch

81.8%
  1. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to restore from Time Machine or re-create my machine manually (installing apps, moving docs over, etc.) I'm tempted to be lazy and just restore via Time Machine. Which way are you doing to go? Let's discuss pros/cons.

2. Gixene macrumors regular

Gixene

I selected the "Start from scratch" option. However, where's the iCloud option? With this, you're not bringing all of the clutter from your previous machine. Personally, all that I need is in iCloud. All else is a clean slate.

3. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

4. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Restored everything when I bought my iPhone 7. Doesn't feel like a new phone after the restore o_O

5. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I was just going to ask this same question.....I'm not sure which way to go but I think I will just start out new and download things as I need them. My 2012's 512GB HD seems bloated with stuff that I don't really need or know where it is hiding. I don't want to transfer all the useless stuff over with my clone.

6. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

I started as new and manually moved files over from a backup of my 2012 Air. Feels newer that way I find. I also just sold my Air a little over an hour ago.

7. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

Uh, there's no option for thunderbolt 3/2 target disk mode transfer... That's how I'll do it. It should only take about 30 mins or so to run ;)

8. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

How does that way work? You basically see the other computer through Finder and transfer stuff as you see fit? Is the TB connection just for speed of transfer then? I suppose I would need a dongle for that? I have no other use for that dongle so I guess I'll just transfer via USB HD of my CCC clone.

9. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I sync my documents from OwnCloud, grab my projects from Github, and then run a giant script.

The script runs a whole bunch of "defaults write" settings. And then installs most applications with "brew cask". Afterwards I install Xcode and MS Office and I'm good to go.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

iOS devices -> restore. macOS devices -> scratch. Just my general rule, as by the time I swap laptops there is usually a lot of clutter, along with unused apps.