Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
excuse the nubishness, but....,

I've just turned my new Pro on and want it to exactly replicate my ipad2, in both apps, settings and most importantly, data. How do i do this exactly? Is restoring from back up the way to go?

I dont yet use icloud or dropbox, so can it be done another way? If so, can i have some step by steps please?

Thank you

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
excuse the nubishness, but....,

I've just turned my new Pro on and want it to exactly replicate my ipad2, in both apps, settings and most importantly, data. How do i do this exactly? Is restoring from back up the way to go?

I dont yet use icloud or dropbox, so can it be done another way? If so, can i have some step by steps please?

Thank you

You can you backup to iTunes on a computer, and restore to your new iPad.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
thanks again, all looking nice as i want, except.....

Pages and Numbers didn't import any of my files. whats the fastest most efficient way to do this, considering i haven't yet set up cloud use.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Setup iCloud on your old iPad, have your documents sync to iCloud, open up apps on new iPad will be there once iCloud is enabled. iCloud is your friend and free, at least 5GB anyway.

Reactions: sjleworthy

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
thanks for the help guys.

restored from ipad2 backup on the weekend and copied data files over by icloud as well. all is now present and correct. quite painless really. must admit though, after using icloud for the first time i'm finding all these auto syncing options too confusing. at one point i ended up with my ipad 2 and Pro sharing 3 duplicate sets of contacts each, and my diaries are all duplicated too! all sorted now though.

so i switched icloud off and think i'll still with file storage on DropBox instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.