Settings for converting video files to use on Sony TVs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fuzzy14, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Hi, I'm trying to convert a few video files to put on a USB and show on my Sony TVs. I'm having mixed results. Most of the time it won't play the file on the TV. Sometimes it will work on one TV but not another (both TVs are KDL series but different ages). Does anybody have any foolproof method/program for converting the files?

I am currently using VLC convert/stream and changing the audio codec to mp3, the video codec to MPEG1 and the encapsulation to AVI. I have tried many, many variations on this but I can't find a consistent setting that will work for all files. I have also tried MPEG Streamclip but half the time it can't read the source file.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Fuzzy14, I would try HandBrake to convert the files. And maybe would try a different USB stick as well.

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

And maybe review the file types/standards that are supported by each TV since they are different ages. Knowing the file type support correlation between your two TV's will go a long way in finding an efficient solution for you.