Settings for mail notification

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MiniGeek, May 26, 2016.

1. MiniGeek macrumors member

Apr 10, 2016
    I've noticed that since I've had my iphone 6 replaced, the way the newest phone deals with my email has changed. I used to get notified with a sound and a number on my mail icon when there was new mail. Now that no longer happens. The phone doesn't seem to be receiving the mail unless I actually open the app. I have a gmail account.

Can anyone tell me what my settings should be? I would like the mail pushed to my phone from the server and I would like a sound notification. When I got to Settings->Notifications->Mail, I have Allow Notifications set to on. I do not have it showing in notification center. I have a sound for notification. Badge App icon is on. Show on lock screen is off. For Alert style when unlocked, I have 'none' selected.

For Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars, under Accounts, Gmail is toggled on. Fetch new data is set to Push. Push is on. Gmail is set to Fetch. I had Fetch set to manual, I just changed it to "Every 30 minutes". I know I have unopened email in my gmail account, and nothing is showing up on my icon. I've just sent a new test email to my gmail account, and nothing shows up on the phone.

What am I doing wrong? The only time my phone now gets email is if I actually open the mail app.
  2. MiniGeek thread starter macrumors member

Apr 10, 2016
    Figured it out. I toggled off the Push setting for Fetch new data, and that worked. Odd, I would have thought the opposite...