Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDY DINERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I just bought apple tv and been researching on how i can put my avi files on my apple tv.I came across visual hub and wanted to know what should the settings be so i can get the best quality possible? I also have a few HD avi files will visual hub work for them? should the settings remain the same? if not then what should i change them to?

Thanx 4 all the help:D

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I just bought apple tv and been researching on how i can put my avi files on my apple tv.I came across visual hub and wanted to know what should the settings be so i can get the best quality possible? I also have a few HD avi files will visual hub work for them? should the settings remain the same? if not then what should i change them to?

Thanx 4 all the help:D

VisualHub provides a nice interface to ffmpeg which is the swiss army knife of encoding software packages.

I've rarely found media that ffmpeg couldn't handle and VisualHub's presets are pretty darn good. "Go Nuts" with the AppleTV preset has made most of my archived movies I had ripped before look just as good (to me) as they did before.

EDY DINERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
so i should use ffmpeg instead of visual hub???sorry if i sound dumb but i just got the apple yesterday

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Actually, what he meant is: VisualHub is very good because it simplifies the use of FFMPEG.

It means that it is good to use VisualHub and it will do a really good job of converting pretty much any video files you throw at it.

By using the "Go Nuts" setting from the "Apple TV" section of the main window, you will find that the quality of the video converted will be almost as good as the source material.

I'm a long time VisualHub user and love the software, it works beautifuly.

EDY DINERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
know i understand.How about the optimize for tab will i get better picture quality if use the atv 5.1+2.0 selection or is it the same quality if i use all devices?

usarcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Maine, USA
know i understand.How about the optimize for tab will i get better picture quality if use the atv 5.1+2.0 selection or is it the same quality if i use all devices?

I would select one of the AppleTV settings unless you need to view the video on your iPod. The atv 5.1+2.0 is only going to affect the sound not the image quality. If your video file has ac3 than definitely use the 5.1.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
These are my general settings for VisualHub. Note it depends on whether I'm using a 5.1 file to start with, determines if I'll use 'Apple TV 5.1 + 2.0' or just 'Apple TV'. Also, the file size depends on what the actual file size of the source is. If it is a 700MB file (average for movies) then I make that 700MB.

Also, I use "Two-Pass" so fast moving scenes get given a higher bitrate so it is smoother rather than stuttery.

vh_1.png

vh_2.png

EDY DINERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
thanx for the help but how do i know if i need to use apple tv 5.1 +2.0,apple tv 5.1 or apple tv????

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
thanx for the help but how do i know if i need to use apple tv 5.1 +2.0,apple tv 5.1 or apple tv????

Well, your source will tell you. If it is a surround sound file, then you want 5.1. Otherwise, just Apple TV.

EDY DINERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
thanks alot you been a big help.i wanted to know your opinion or anyone else's on hacking the atv.i been doing some research and found this website that i can buy an atv flash and not have to go crazy trying to hack it myself.This would save me the time of converting my avi files and also give me a few cool features what do you think???

usarcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Maine, USA
Well, your source will tell you. If it is a surround sound file, then you want 5.1. Otherwise, just Apple TV.

I would add that if you want to play the video on your mac, assuming its not using a 5.1 setup, you should select the 5.1+2.0. This will put both the surround track as well as a stereo track for more compatibility.

aketarak

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Visualhub in 10.6

Ever since I upgraded to 10.6, Visualhub gives me the following message:

"AppleScript Error
Stack overflow (-2706)

App still seems to work for the most part. Just curious if other SL users are getting this error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.