Settings > General > Usage screen extremely slow to load for anyone else?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by omgwut, Apr 25, 2014.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'm having a problem specifically with the list of installed apps that can be found on the Usage screen inside Settings > General. I don't know what the cause is but it seems like as time goes on the list becomes slower and slower to load and populate for me. Used to be that it loaded instantly and gave me my alphabetized rundown of installed apps and respective storage space used as soon as I navigated to the Usage screen, then it started taking more time and now I just waited almost 90 seconds for it to appear. I'm using a 16GB iPhone 5s with several gigabytes of unused storage space, essentially the same amount of unused space as it had shortly after I purchased it and when it wasn't doing this, so I don't know what's going on. Has anyone else had the same thing happen? Does this have anything to do with the several iOS software updates that have been distributed since launch? Thanks!

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes I have the same exact problem on my 5s.

I also have the same problem loading pictures as wallpaper from the photo app. It takes an age for the option to set wallpaper appear after I press the square button.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Have the same issue with usage taking a long time to load.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I've always had this since iOS 6. On a fresh install of iOS with few apps it's very fast. When you have a ton of apps it takes a while.

Thought that was normal.

5. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

It just takes a while to populate the list of installed apps if there are many on the device.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, that's normal. At least on my 64GB devices.

7. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Don't remind me! The single biggest thing I hate about iOS - actually, probably the only thing I "hate" about iOS. It started with iOS 6 - before that it was quite speedy. Not sure what the issue is.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The more stuff you have, the longer it will take.

9. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

10. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Yes it has always taken time for that list to populate for me.

64-bit isn't all that :p

11. chabig macrumors 68040

12. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

13. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Takes about six secs on my 4s, as it always has. That's with 75 apps. A minute and a half doesn't sound normal to me.

14. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

It takes the same exact amount of time for me. Timed it. 1 minute 30 seconds.

15. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Takes a bit for me though I have a 64 GB with only 5 Gb left so I would expect it to.

16. noj91111 macrumors newbie

Spotify Biggest Offender

Have an iPhone 5S 32gb, using about 12gb minimum (~150 apps, and not much else). It take 80 seconds to load the usage screen. Too Long!

I've found that the Spotify app is the biggest offender. I deleted Spotify, and the usage screen loads in 35-40 seconds. This is more reasonable. I'm sure this has sometime to do with Spotify caching all the songs it plays, because a fresh install of Spotify (nothing cached yet) doesn't increase the loading time. So delete and reinstall Spotify if it bothers you, but this will just become a problem again if you keep using Spotify. The Spotify app really needs a cache size limit! I tried deleting a few other apps and caches, but couldn't get faster usage screen load times.