Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Have you checked if it’s something like wanting you to sign back in to iCloud?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Usually, as @d123 says, it's something needs to be set up to complete the upgrade. Check the iCloud status and check the Apple Pay settings. Those are the two I've seen most.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Looked at every setting but I can’t see any amiss. Maybe a bug?

Possibly. If you haven't already it might be worth signing out of iCloud, seeing if the counter is gone, then signing back in. Don't lose a great deal in testing that (you will have to add any cards back in to Apple Pay though)

Reactions: MBBJ

Dimlaith

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2018
UK
Thank you you very much, that worked perfectly. Not sure if the original poster has had any success with this issue but worked for me. Again, many thanks for your help

Reactions: Feenician

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I’ve had a "1" for well over a year. It wants me to set up ApplePay which I won’t do - it’s just their way of trying to push you in to it. Wish it would go away.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I’ve had a "1" for well over a year. It wants me to set up ApplePay which I won’t do - it’s just their way of trying to push you in to it. Wish it would go away.

I can't remember the exact flow but you should be able to get rid of that by starting the process and then just not adding a card.

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
Actually it's funny... as of this morning, 10/16, it was still there... I hopped on here looking for replies (I guess I forgot to set it to notify me...). I looked at the replies, and was going to try signing out/signing in to my Apple ID, and believe it or not, the "1" disappeared! I have NO IDEA why...! I did look through every section in Settings and found nothing, it wouldn't go away. But now it's gone... UGH! I'm glad it's gone, but I wish I knew what happened!! lol... oh well... I do appreciate the replies... thanks.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
My phone is doing this now, after the 12.1 update. If I try signing out of iCloud (and then back in), what will I have to set back up again?

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Had a friend with this exact issue on 12.0.1, fix was to sign out/sign in to iCloud, fixed it immediately.

DarBarnes

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
Ran the iOS 12.0.1 update last night, and now my Settings icon has the "1" badge on it, and I went into just about everything I could think of in Settings and can't find out why. Am I missing something???

I had same problem. Try singing out of icloud and signing back in.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I had same problem. Try singing out of icloud and signing back in.

Just a warning, signing out and back in to iCloud will cause an iCloud Photo Library resync, which can take a very, very, very, VERY long time if you have a large library.

If you have a large library yet absolutely must do this, you'd best do it when you know you'll have the phone plugged in on WiFi for a while.

Source: Been there, got annoyed by that.

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

MBBJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
Possibly. If you haven't already it might be worth signing out of iCloud, seeing if the counter is gone, then signing back in. Don't lose a great deal in testing that (you will have to add any cards back in to Apple Pay though)
4.14.19 That worked for me after I had the 1 counter after updating to iOS 12.2.
Thanks Mate

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
if you have the restriction on for ”cannot change the apple id” you may not see icloud/etc badges before you remove that restriction. i found it accidentally that this restriction hides everything associated with your apple id - e.g. a message ”your icloud is full and need....”-badge. when the restriction is off, you get another line under your apple id (the bottom part of the settings) when something related to your apple id needs your attention - if the restriction is on, you dont see that extra line under your name/apple id when getting a notification but you see the red badge on the setting icon.

it was quite annoying when you didnt see what was causing it.

Last edited:

Marcellon62

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2019
Ran the iOS 12.0.1 update last night, and now my Settings icon has the "1" badge on it, and I went into just about everything I could think of in Settings and can't find out why. Am I missing something???
[doublepost=1566220367][/doublepost]Ok, I updated my iOS on my iPhone to 12.4 and the badge icon for the settings app was on. Open settings and nothing needed attention. This post is correct, log out of iCloud, then log back in, and the badge icon goes away. A stupid bug that Apple has had before and still have not fixed. I expect more from Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.