Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 20, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

What is the reason of having the "Push" turned ON in this section of the phone? I would assume it's for those who have push emails set up on their iPhone. For people like myself that either have their emails set to "fetch" or retrieve manually is there any reason to have this ON?

Does iCloud need it on for anything?

2. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

If you prefer to fetch, then yeah, you can turn it off. The only reason I'd 'fetch' instead of 'push' is to save battery... And in 2011, I'm always near a charger whether it's my house, my car, a friend's house, work, hell... even bars around here keep a couple iphone wall chargers around.

3. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Only few email types can push to the phone and unfortunately mine is one of the types that must be fetched or retrieved manually.

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm that iCloud does not need this push feature to be turned on for anything? Thanks in advance.

5. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

i use gmail (very common) and if you set it up as an exchange account, it gets pushed.

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great for you however my emails are not gmail accounts. :rolleyes:

7. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Are you sure you can't set up your email as an exchange account? If you can, the email very well may be pushable.

8. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

My web hosting company does offer Exchange and I tried it yesterday but it didn't function the way I wanted it to so I cancelled it and went back to my regular POP settings for my emails.