Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I had a MacBook for about a year now and a few weeks ago I started having problems with videos from online (ex. YouTube). They would start loading and stop, on and off. It would load about 2-3 seconds of video every few minutes. So I reset safari and everything, that didn't help. Anyway, I got a MacBook pro last week, and I transferred everything from my MacBook to the MacBook pro via ethernet cable. I am not experiencing this problem on the MacBook pro since the transfer. I reset safari again, no help. Have had friends use their computers on my wifi network, they all work fine. My speeds are over 10mbps. So my question, I don't want to erase all of my data, as I have no means to backup my iTunes library which is huge and all my documents and such. Is there a way to go back to factory settings though? Like should I reinstall the OS without erasing my data?

I have not installed any 3rd party apps except skype. And this problem didn't appear until months after that. Everything is completely up to date software version wise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You really should have a backup of anything important ...

Since you did use migration assistant to transfer everything from the MB to the MBP ... you could do the reverse after you reinstall OS X on the MB.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I know, trust me a time capsule is my next investment. The problem in the MacBook was given to a friend and they have already set it up as their own, so I can't re-migrate. Also, I need to play three YouTube videos for a presentation on Friday using my laptop. So basically, would reinstalling the OS reset all of my setting to factory? I'm pretty sure my documents and such will remain untouched.

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
I know, trust me a time capsule is my next investment. The problem in the MacBook was given to a friend and they have already set it up as their own, so I can't re-migrate. Also, I need to play three YouTube videos for a presentation on Friday using my laptop. So basically, would reinstalling the OS reset all of my setting to factory? I'm pretty sure my documents and such will remain untouched.

Yes, it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.