Settings: Problem with Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ten-oak-druid, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ten-oak-druid, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

I currently live in Arizona where that silly daylight savings time doesn't exist. I love not having to spend time changing clocks.

This morning my iphone jumped ahead an hour though.

I went into Settings --> General --> Date & Time to correct it.

There is no daylight savings time option so I turned off "Set Automatically". This immediately fixed it. The time zone that appeared was Phoenix and it new not to use daylight savings time (DST).

The only problem is that if I move to different time zones, I'll have to remember to go back and turn on "set automatically" to get the phone to change times.

Since the phone knew that Phoenix does not use DST, the problem must be on some server the iphone checks to "set automatically". That server, unlike the iphone, does not know Arizona is not on DST.

I submitted feedback at:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

2. ten-oak-druid thread starter macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

I've searched around the web and found this problem goes back some time. One thread I found mentioned ATT phones (not just iphones) have this problem and it is likely servers that provide time to ATT cell towers.

I was a Verizon customer previously so I don't know if this is true about ATT. It was never an issue with Verizon on my old phone.

Anyway I'm curious if Verizon iphone users in Arizona have this problem too.

3. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

It ain't silly to those of use that live on the eastern fringes of their respective Time Zones unlike yourself. (although I do imagine Az folk dislike and do not use DST as it would mean another hour of the heat you all have to deal with in the evening hours).

Mike

4. ten-oak-druid, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

ten-oak-druid thread starter macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

I grew up in NY state and still consider that my home. I hope someday NY will stop using DST too.

Just change the time banks and government offices do business during the day and other places of business will follow. Consider going to work at 9:00 part of the year and 8:00 another part of the year. The actual time on the clock is arbitrary.

What is silly is that people feel a certain hour of the day has to have a particular meaning. "What? I have to get up at 5:00 instead of 6:00? Lets call it 6:00 and it will be alright."

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What? :confused: How does observing DST "mean another hour of the heat…"?

6. ten-oak-druid thread starter macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

Update: Tried switching back to "set Automatically" at 10:40AM and it behaved as it should. Problem fixed.