Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
How do i turn off the brightness auto adjust on my MBP? also, how do i make german characters while i'm typing. I'm in austria so i often need to put umlauts on vowels while I'm surfing the web or writing papers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You have not told us which word processing package you use. If you have Office for Mac, and are using Word, click on Insert, go then to Symbol, and in Symbol, you scroll up and down until you come to Cambria (theme body), or Calibri (theme heading); there, you will find letters with an umlaut and various other accented letters.
Cheers

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
You have not told us which word processing package you use. If you have Office for Mac, and are using Word, click on Insert, go then to Symbol, and in Symbol, you scroll up and down until you come to Cambria (theme body), or Calibri (theme heading); there, you will find letters with an umlaut and various other accented letters.
Cheers

i know how to do that, it's when i'm surfing the web and such that i need to know how to set up hot keys or something.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i know how to do that, it's when i'm surfing the web and such that i need to know how to set up hot keys or something.

You are in Austria, surfing the web, and they don't use a German keyboard, complete with umlaut and other accented letters, in Austrian internet cafes? I admit to some surprise.
Cheers

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
System Preferences->International to change language settings.

Afterward just go to the top right hand corner of the title bar and change the flag to Austria.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland

I think you'll have more luck asking on some German Mac-related forum, where almost everyone uses these letters.

You are in Austria, surfing the web, and they don't use a German keyboard, complete with umlaut and other accented letters, in Austrian internet cafes? I admit to some surprise.
Cheers

Did I miss something, or is jkramb asking about typing on his own MBP?

Firanide

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Canadia
Hold Option + u, produces an ¨ that's got a yellow background. If you then type another letter after it (ä, ü, ö (or even ï, ë, or ÿ)), it will produce the letter with an umlaut over it.

Also, to produce a ß, just press Option + s.

In addition to umlauts, you can also use acute accents (´) by using Option + e, a grave accent (`) by using Option + `, and circumflex accents (ˆ) by using Option + i, all in the same way the umlauts are used.

Easiest way I've found so far, anyways.

PS: This works in any Mac program (Safari, Word, Pages, etc.)

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Hold Option + u, produces an ¨ that's got a yellow background. If you then type another letter after it (ä, ü, ö (or even ï, ë, or ÿ)), it will produce the letter with an umlaut over it.

Also, to produce a ß, just press Option + s.

In addition to umlauts, you can also use acute accents (´) by using Option + e, a grave accent (`) by using Option + `, and circumflex accents (ˆ) by using Option + i, all in the same way the umlauts are used.

Easiest way I've found so far, anyways.

PS: This works in any Mac program (Safari, Word, Pages, etc.)

thats EXACTLY what i wanted. thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.