iPad Settle for a refurb. iPad 4? (1 month old iPad failed..)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kess143, Aug 9, 2013.

1. kess143, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

kess143 macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I just wanted your opinion on this. My brother bought an iPad 4 for college about a month ago and its been working great, until a few days ago. On the iPad screen, there is a solid purple line running across the screen, and its permanantly there so its not app-related. I have tried restoring as new to no avail.

So I called Apple to see what they can do. They said I could take the iPad in to an Apple store and have them replace it for a refurb. one and I said fine thats no problem.

Now, I usually don't have a problem with this sort of stuff but my brother is very picky (or shall I saw OCD) when it comes to this sort of stuff. He's arguing that since he bought a new iPad 1 month ago, they should replace it with a new one, not a refurb. one. I tried explaining it to him that the refurb. iPad will be good as new but with a few old parts and he things it will break down faster than a new one.

Any opinions? How are Apple refurb. products? It is disappointing that a new iPad failed after 1 month of normal use (no water damage)..plus I'm going to have to spend like $30 on gas to drive to my nearest Apple store since we live out near the country side.

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My iPhone 3G developed a fault just inside of the 1 year warranty period. Apple replaced it with with a refurb. It was still working a year later when I upgraded to the 4. The refurb iPad your brother will get will still have an 11 month warranty so if it did have any problems it would be replaced.

3. kess143 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay sounds good, but whats up with the angry smiley face? :confused:

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple New: looks new, someone at Apple facility handled it
    Apple refurb: looks new, someone at Apple facility handled it

No cosmetic difference.

5. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

You are right.Just tell him to chill it will be fine.New case battery and(I think)screen.That doesn't leave much.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Sorry I don't know how that angry face got in there :confused::)