OS X Settlers 7 - worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Rossatron, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    Was wondering if anyone has this game and could give some input on its OSX version

Thanks in advance

2. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I honestly haven't played in 3 years, but my review is here, and here is a quote:
    I wouldn't even bother installing it at this point personally ...

3. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

The reason I'm interested is because I read that the DRM was removed

4. Cmax macrumors member

Cmax

Aside from the DRM issue “txa1265” mentioned, I might add the UBISOFT servers seemed to go down more often than a two dollar wh... ah, ocean buoy.

Also. the Mac port seems to have a nasty memory leak. My late 2011 iMac has 2 Gb video ram and 16 Gb of system ram and yet that game would crash after a few hours with an “out of resources” message. What the heck?

Anyway, I haven’t played the game since early 2012 on the Mac because of the DRM and memory leak issues. I don’t know if that stuff has been fixed since then. Hope it has, as it was and still is a fun game to play otherwise.

5. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I didn't know a Mac version of this existed. They only have the Windows version on Steam unfortunately. Maybe it is for the best if the game has stability issues though. :(

6. Rossatron, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

:(

Any other fun micro-managing/strategy games out there? Tropico 4 seems good, but not quite what I'm looking for.

edit: going through 'mac game store' it seems that you still need to be constantly connected to their servers.

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I have not found anything to indicate that they were ever adequately fixed. Of course, the PC version wasn't stellar in that regard either ... but it was better. Not the best representative of the Settlers franchise.

8. TheGreatWumpus macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus