Settlers of Catan?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bmstrong, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

2. admo macrumors member

Oohh, this seems like a real nice app. The board game is supposed to be just a classic (I'm a big fan of carcasone which is in the similar German board game realm). Still, I think it would get boring playing against the AI. I'll leave my strategy game needs to be fulfilled by Civ IV for now, but may end up picking this up in the future. Thanks for the heads up that it made it to the apps store!

I caved. I purchased it, but for some reason my iPhone can't download the app (probably something blocked using our corporate wifi). I can download it on my computer when I get home.

3. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

>>Thanks for the heads up that it made it to the apps store!

No problem. Let us know how it is compared to the board version. I'm fasinated by board games. I really haven't played any since my childhood. Anyone else a fan?

4. Oddgeirf macrumors newbie

At last

I am a huge fan of the game and I will download it right away :D Thanx for telling me about the game. Didnt think of finding it myself. This game will kill many hours when i am traveling or are bored at home :)

5. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

No problem. How's the game play compared to the board version?

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Here is the thread on it over at TouchArcade.com (MR sister site).

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=30570

I haven't read it, i did read a lot about the other versions that were out before. We don't have the board game either, i've pondered it though. Now to read the thread and see how the reviews are!

7. admo macrumors member

I just played through the tutorial, and I think I will like this game. Trading is going to be the hardest part for me. I never liked to trade in monopoly, not is any of the civ games (which I am pretty new to). Still, I think this is going to be a very nice game on my iPhone.

8. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that link!

9. admo macrumors member

Played my first game yesterday, after completing the tutorial. Managed to win playing against two random AI. Really fun. Started my second game this morning. Makes me want to get the board game!

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. Only thing I'd like is to speed up game play when playing AIs.

11. admo macrumors member

In the options, make sure you click to turn off opponent comments and click on faster animations. It's making my second run-through much more enjoyable.

12. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

13. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else? Thoughts? Comments on Catan?

14. mrbass macrumors member

I'd wait for the update before biting. Seems they've dumbed down this version as to appeal to first timers and doing so aliented their existing userbase of fans. For now I'm sticking to java version on http://games.asobrain.com/ which has Cities and Knights and all the expansions. Having said that I hope they do update iphone version and give us a couple of expansions.

15. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Played my first round at work last night. Very neat and fun game. I can't recommend it enough.

16. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

17. mmoto macrumors member

It's a fairly addicting game.
    Unfortunately I'm losing interest because I have yet to beat the AI players after at least 15 games. I consistently end up second. I win regularly when playing the board game. The AI players just buy up a bunch of development cards until they have enough victory points. I suppose I could adopt their strategy if I didn't find it boring.

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

This is ON SALE for today, 12/5/09, for $2.99!!!

19. archdelux macrumors 6502

Anyone buy the expansion? Is it worth it? Is the campaign mode fun?

20. milkcowbluesStu macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

I'm going to try this one. loved the desktop version.