Settling for less :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 318890, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 318890 Guest

Okay so I was all geared up to get the MacBook Pro online on friday until my moms credit card would not go through. So we had to wait till today to call the bank to find out why. Then we are told we have a limit on the card and the max you can spend is 2000 so my mom tells me I cant get a laptop over 2000. So Im like great :( I was getting a laptop that was $3007.13 now I need one under $2000 including tax. Im a video editor and I need the fastest thing possible especially for rendering HD videos. I just want to know how slow what im getting really is :mad:

This is what im getting now:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

What I was PROMISED :mad: but not getting anymore:

2.93Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I'd be thankful my mom was spending that kind of money on me. :rolleyes:

That is still a very capable machine, these are hard times, be grateful. :)

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Crying about it won't do anything, go get a job. When getting my first Mac, my parents promised me a new one, but when the time came, they said I didn't need it. Well i saved up and bought me an eMac :D

4. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Do you need portability? Why don't you get the 2.93Ghz iMac and get the 4850 GPU? Way more power for a lot less money.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

if money is not the issue but the card is you might want to try getting a paypal account and generating a one time use card :)

7. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Apple Insider has a deal on their front page where you can get 3% off on a Macbook Pro. That takes a big chunk off, which when combined with MacMall's $150 mail in rebate, cheap shipping, and no taxes, sets the 2.4ghz Macbook Pro at around $1682. Save your mom some money, sounds like finances are tight.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I would love to see some kid (youngster) post something like;

OMFG my parents just bought me a (whatever mac), i can't beleive it, so cool. now i can do my picture and video editing.

I guess my son spoils me. After getting him a plasma for his apartment we went to look at cell phones and I was all set to get him the iphone. He said no, the tv was enough, when the new iphone comes out It will take the hand me down. I was a very very humbling moment.

To th OP your parents work very hard and $2000 is a lot of money.
    Enjoy your new toy and please overlook and shortcomings of the macbook vs the pro

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

To expand on this a little...

I once had a fairly high limit on a card but the "daily" limit was only $1000. The $1000 daily limit was a safeguard in case the card was stolen. Well, I had to purchase some plane tickets and $1000 wasn't going to cut it.

All it took was a 5 minute call to the card issuer and they raised it. As long as the total limit is well above the $2000, they will probably allow you to raise the daily limit within reason. After all, they DO want you to use said credit. ;) :)

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Unless you're making money off this computer, the 0.53 GHz difference in processor speeds isn't going to be important. Yes, the lesser machine will render more slowly, but it will render fine and your work will get done.

So quit your whining. :p

And does anyone else find it a little disconcerting that this family is apparently unaware of their own credit card limit? No wonder the US economy is in the state its in...

11. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

If i remember correctly, alot of credit card are doing this at the moment... They are trying to reduce their risk by cutting people's credit. You might be surprised to find that some of your credit might even have been reduced. A lot of people are actually having their credit scores hit quite hard in circumstances where they once had a reasonable balance with quite a bit of free credit. Now they are finding that what appeared to be a reasonable balance is now on a "maxed out" credit card, with no available credit to help them out in a pinch.

So it might just be that the family had their limit reduced unknowingly.

12. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This happened to my parents a little while back on their Amex card, dropping from a $32,000 limit to $8,000. But it wasn't dropped unknowingly, the bank did send a notice letting them know that they had to make the drop. Sucks really bad for my parents, but I guess we'll live.

And to the OP: As Demosthenes X said, unless you are being paid for what you are editing and do it for a living (which I honestly doubt since you are having your mom buy you the computer), .53GHz won't make a night and day difference. You will lose a few seconds to a minute or so on your renders, but that's IT.

13. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Thats a big drop, but then again 32,000 isn't the average credit limit :p

14. Laroosco macrumors member

Agreed. The machine's are the same aside from .5 Ghz. It will be fine.
    Be grateful.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

16. o2xygen macrumors regular

That still an excellent machine, enjoy it.

Jeez Im a 20 year old university student, and I feel **** guilty if I ever have to ask my Mother to send me down some cash for groceries or to replace shoes.

17. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

As you should! :p

Just kidding of course, but that does say something about your personality... ;) :)

18. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I totally agree. Not trying to sound like a killjoy, but you should get a job and save up to buy your own Mac. I worked for my first Mac. And it was a MacBook Pro. There is no better satisfaction than being able to say you bought your own - whether it be an iPod Shuffle or an iMac. Do it, man.

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

As someone else mentioned Paypal, you could get the Paypal debit card, and deposit up to your max each day (2 days for a $3000 machine), and then just pay with the debit card.

Also, you can *usually* pay with multiple cards, or card (up to $2000) + cash if you have it.

If the *card* (and not the amount of money) is the real problem here, then there are ways to do it.

Good luck!

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you are serious about video editing you should not be buying a laptop.

21. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

If he requires portability, and can't afford both a desktop and a laptop, then he has no option but to get a portable.

22. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Not yet you're not ;)

Enough with the angry faces, and be happy your parents are willing to support your career\hobby at all.
    As already mentioned, the 2.4Ghz machine is more than capable, you just need to learn patience (amongst other things) and if you don't need portability, then the iMac may be for you?

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get an iMac for the editing... get a whitebook for the portability... thank your parents for spending a lot of $$ on you every day...

24. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Haha, yeah, I vividly remember my dad's face when he saw the notice...it was a total ""WTF!?!?!" look. Priceless :p

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um mine was slashed 80% without me knowing....they sent a notice over a month later and i have never missed a payment or anything....:rolleyes:

in fact i even made a thread about it a while back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.