Settting Up IPAD 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarpad, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Can you, and Should you, restore from an Ipad 2 backup, for setting up the new ipad, or should you just set up from scratch?

2. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Given my iPad 1 is iCloud connected, I'm very much hoping that once I've entered my iCloud details the new iPad will simply start syncing over the air. Otherwise I'm going to be sat with the damn thing here on my desk at work until I get home to my desktop Mac.:eek:

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would sync with the cloud.

When you get your new Pad 3, you should just have to sign on with your Apple ID and it should populate your new iPad

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I fully plan to restore my iPad 3 from my iPad 2's last iCloud backup and expect no issues. *knock on wood*

5. Skika macrumors 68030

I also expect to restore from iCloud with no issues.

Should work.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Same. Should work no problem. In the past it wasn't an issue when getting a new device iPad or iPhone.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My backups are on my iMac....Have not decided finally, but will probably set it up as a new device...All my Apps have been kept up to date whilst I have been padless.....:)

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

When I went from iPad 1 to iPad 2.....there was no iCloud, so I restored from the iTunes backup. Worked perfectly....had a brand new iPad just like before.

Since I'm out of town when I get my new iPad, I'm going to restore from iCloud.

The only downside to an iCloud restore is.....it takes way longer to get all the apps download and installed, since it has to download all of them from Apple. That and I would imagine Apple's servers are going to be a bit slow on launch day.

-Kevin

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

My thought:

Restore from the backup. If everything works fine, you're golden.

If not, then wipe and set up as new.

10. homeboy macrumors 6502

I'll be restoring from my iPad 2 backup.

Simples.

11. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

+ 1 on that, plan to do exactly the same and restore the lot from iCloud and then pick up where I left off :)

12. satchow macrumors 6502

That's what I do everytime I get a new iDevice. Plug the old one into iTunes, right click, back up. Plug the new one into iTunes, right click, restore from back up.

Haven't had a problem yet.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Let me ask you....have you ever done this on a computer that is not the primary syncing computer?

I sync all my devices with my Mac Pro. But I'm travelling for this launch and will getting the new iPad while away. I will have my Macbook with me....but I don't sync my current iPad to it (since you can only sync with one library).

Can I, while I'm gone, plug the iPad 2 into my Macbook and do a backup? Then plug the new iPad into iTunes to restore it? All the while, making sure when I get back home that the new iPad will sync with my Mac Pro?

Thanks!

-Kevin

14. satchow macrumors 6502

I haven't done it exactly like that, but I'm fairly confident it will work as long as you don't sync the iPad on the MacBook.
    What you could do is today plug in your current iPad into your MacBook, make a backup, then right click and choose Restore from Backup and see if it shows you the backup file to choose from or not.

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks.....I might give that a shot.

-Kevin

----------

Here's a tip for those making local backups......choose Encrypt local backup. When you do this, all your passwords are stored so when you restore, you don't have to re-enter your passwords all over again.

iCloud automatically does this I believe.

-Kevin

16. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Normally I would try to restore from iCloud but based on how hard it was to order on Apple's website last week I don't want to risk it taking forever. I've updated all my apps on my mac and hope to have it up and running a.s.a.p.

17. Azzin macrumors 68040

I did a backup of my iPad just before I sold it, but I've decided I will be setting my new iPad up as a new device.

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

That's what I'm afraid of. I have about 7GB of apps on my iPad 2.

I needed to restore my iPad a few months back and chose to do it from iCloud. Now this was a normal time....no launches or anything. The overall backup went fine....but downloading all those apps....took hours! And I have a fast internet connection. Part of the problem is Apple only downloads 1 or 2 apps at a time.

With everyone setting up their new iPads this Friday...and downloading new apps and restoring....I'm nervous to do an iCloud restore.

Although I did read a tip where from Apple on iCloud restores:

-Kevin

19. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

How about restoring a new iPad from an iCloud backup from my iPhone 4S? I've never owned an iPad, and I was wondering if I could restore from a iPhone backup or not. Would you just set it up as a new device?

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, so it looks like though that the backup doesn't backup apps. I guess it assumes you are backing up to the local computer that already has all your apps.

My Macbook won't have the apps. So I'm trying the Transfer Purchases on the Macbook. I'm guessing this will copy the apps to the Macbook.

-Kevin

----------

I have been told that you CAN do this. I'd give it a shot. Worst that's going to happen is you'd have to restore the new iPad as...well new again :D

-Kevin

21. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I'll be restoring from backup from my MBP. Isn't this the same as restoring from iCloud but much faster? If I have the option between the two I'm going to use the fastest. I'm a missing something backing up from MBP vs iCloud?

22. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Nope, you correct. Same thing...just faster since it's restoring apps locally.

iCloud is nice when you don't have your computer with you. But since it has to download all apps again....it can be slow.

-Kevin

23. cabingirl macrumors newbie

I must be the outlier, but I am not going to restore from backup. I want a clean setup. I don't have alot of apps on there where I would lose data, however.

24. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

If your not worried about losing data start off fresh. I have too many Apps with data to do this. I have no choice but to complete a restore.

25. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

I'll be at work, so I'm restoring from iCloud. Did this with a replacement iPhone for my wife and it worked flawlessly.