HomePod Setup advice (Apple TV vs. music

se99jmk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I love to do two things:
1) Play music (using HomePod stereo pair)
2) Watch Apple TV

=====

I tried outputting the Apple TV through the HomePods, which works great (and gives some Siri controls)

However if I want to play music through HomePods, it turns on the Apple TV every time (I don't want the TV screen on if just listening to casual music...)

Is there a way to do this?

- If I start music on HomePods, just use HomePods (no Apple TV )
- If I turn on Apple TV, video outputs through HomePods

Presumably I could not use an ARC supporting HDMI port, but then the TV would not auto turn on when I turned on the Apple TV (which is actually very convenient and means I don't have to use multiple remotes)

Last edited:

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
This is AirPlay. So that means you need to do everything manually. When you’re done watching TV you need to disconnect the tv from the HomePods. You can either use the remote to do it on the tv or via iOS. Get back to the home screen, press and hold the play button, scroll to your HomePod, and click the trackpad. The remote method is how I do it at the end of the day. I don’t like leaving my HomePods connected because frequently I ask Siri to do things in the middle of the night. In the my waking hours I do it via iOS. I enable AirPlay to HomePod from my phone then I disconnect it immediately. That enables me to tell HomePod to play music and my tv remains off.

se99jmk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
This is AirPlay. So that means you need to do everything manually. When you’re done watching TV you need to disconnect the tv from the HomePods. You can either use the remote to do it on the tv or via iOS. Get back to the home screen, press and hold the play button, scroll to your HomePod, and click the trackpad. The remote method is how I do it at the end of the day. I don’t like leaving my HomePods connected because frequently I ask Siri to do things in the middle of the night. In the my waking hours I do it via iOS. I enable AirPlay to HomePod from my phone then I disconnect it immediately. That enables me to tell HomePod to play music and my tv remains off.
Thanks - that's a shame it's manual, realistically I can't see doing this (especially for other family members)

Hoping there's a set-and-forget way of making it just work :)

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
There isn’t. You need to keep in mind that AirPlaying from tv to HomePod is still in beta. It’s not a sound bar and was never designed for this purpose. Sounds to me you need a sound bar. I don’t mind dealing with the shortcomings but my tv and HomePods are solely mine.

se99jmk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
There isn’t. You need to keep in mind that AirPlaying from tv to HomePod is still in beta. It’s not a sound bar and was never designed for this purpose. Sounds to me you need a sound bar. I don’t mind dealing with the shortcomings but my tv and HomePods are solely mine.
I do have a sound bar, and yes, sounds like the best solution - in theory outputting to HomePods would mean:
- no soundbar = less clutter
- simple Siri controls (though as I’ve found out, still achievable by specifying “pause TV” or “pause living room”)

Ah well, still playing around with the “optimal” solution

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
A sound bar will sound so much better than HomePod for a tv. Unless your sound bar really sucks. I never had a desire for a sound bar. I’ve always been fine with my tv speakers. And in truth I’m still fine with them. AirPlaying tv to HomePod is just a bonus for me. It does sound better than my tv speakers. But I know a sound bar would sound way better since it’s not a 360 speaker and has a center channel.