Setup Airport Express extender via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by super tomtendo, Oct 30, 2015.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

hello,

Lately my extender has been very slow with the devices connected to it. I have an AirPort Extreme downstairs hooked to the modem with a power line adapter to it as well, then I have an airport express upstairs hooked to another power line adapter to speed it up... However it's not working... I'll get 40-90mbps on the main station and only 1-5 on the express.

How can I extend this network better? I've read online that you need to see it up as its own network using the same network name and password and change a setting "connect via Ethernet" but that setting is not to be found...

Can anyone help me so I can get my speeds back?

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Have you tried doing a factory default reset on the Airport Express first to set it up as a new device?

Factory Default reset (using reset button)
    If the device isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.

1. Disconnect the base station's power cord.
    2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen, pencil, or straightened paperclip. While continuing to hold the button, reconnect the power cord. Keep holding the reset button until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about six seconds.

Then you want to configure a roaming network.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204616

3. rigormortis, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

in order to set an airport extreme as an extender " extend a network " over ethernet you must first reset the airport
    to factory defaults and use airport utility 5.xx or 5.xx for windows. this function was removed from airport utility 6.00 as far as i remember

once it is set to share via ethernet or wifi, you cannot change it to something else without first resetting it to factory defaults.

psyopwarload's post is very good. i think thats the correct one, but i am pretty sure in order to do it, you need the older version of airport utility.

another cool thing with setting it up that way over ethernet is each basestation can be on a different channel.