Setup as new device, but restore from iCloud - how?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Slav2009, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Slav2009 macrumors member

My brother is experiencing massive battery drain on his iPhone 4 with iOS 5. He restored from backup and now I'm trying to guide him to set up as a new device, but I'm confusing with this entire iCloud business. I know how to manually backup and restore contacts and calendars using iTunes after a clean install, but not iCloud.

Since everything is now backed up to iCloud, it won't look to iTunes except for music and apps.

After a restore, he needs to SLIDE TO SETUP, then it will ask him SET UP AS NEW IPHONE, RESTORE FROM iCLOUD or RESTORE FROM iTUNES. Obviously we want to set up as new iphone right? BUT will this delete his iCloud backup, or can he then go and manually select to restore his calendars and contacts from iCloud after the new device setup?

Cheers :)

2. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Come on no one??

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You want to "Restore from iCloud backup"

I just upgraded from my 3gs to a 4s and this is how I got all my stuff on the 4s. Worked perfectly.

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

If it were me, I would choose the Restore From iCloud option.

5. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

I hear you guys but... the point is to set up the device as a NEW device to get rid of potential battery drain issues.

The only thing i want to do is force the contacts and calendar to be backed up and restored, the rest I want to do manually from scratch.

6. thederby macrumors regular

restore from iCloud backup will just restore your configuration and settings, not your apps or media (which it will subsequently re-download directly from the app store).

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You are not eliminating any battery drain issues.

Just restore from iCloud

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If it is just contacts and calendars you want, then make sure they are in iCloud, then set up as new device, then when prompted but in your iCloud id and it will download your contacts and calendars to the phone.

9. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

How am I not eliminating battery issues? It's a KNOWN issue that restoring from backup causes battery drain, not in all cases, but I have seen it personally and if you search that you will see countless threads.

Then what is the correct procedure to set up a new device? Lose all contacts? I dunno, it was easier with just iTunes to setup new devices. Now I don't feel I have any control over what will happen.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1. Take old phone, upgrade it to iOS 5
    2. Setup iCloud account on old phone, go to iCloud.com to make sure your calendar/contacts are visible there.
    3. Setup new phone as New Device
    4. Add your iCloud settings to new phone, contacts and calendar should transfer to new phone.

11. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, we're almost there, but there is no "old" or "new" phone. It's the current phone he has. He is already on iOS 5.

Here's my issue:

1) Sync with iTunes it's selected to go to iCloud, fine...
    2) Shift + click restore, browse for ipsw, restore to iOS 5.
    3) Slide to Setup, set up as new device, set up iCloud, etc etc..

NOW, wouldn't all the info he has on iCloud from his previous sync be wiped out, because this device is fresh and wants to sync with iCloud, but we never said to restore from backup? Do you see where I'm coming from?

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think you are getting confused between iCloud and the iCloud backup.

iCloud stores you mail/calendars/contacts. iCloud backup backs up your phones settings etc.

If you restore your phone to new, and input your iCloud details you will get your mail/contact/calendars back on your phone, you will not get your settings etc back from your iCloud backup.

13. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I dont want my settings and config back, I want to set that up again from new. What I do want is my contacts etc. I was worried if I set up as new device, it would wipe the contents of iCloud because its a new clean device, so it would say to iCloud to match it. But now you are saying it won't do that, and that's what I wanted I know.

Thank you for your patience man...

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iCloud stores your contacts/calendars/mail so you can access them from any device you own. If reseting a single device wiped iCloud then people would be very unhappy.

15. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

That's a very good point lol