Setup as new lost camera roll photos

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jermy4, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

My iPhone 4 was a little laggy under 4.2.1 jailbreak and I had installed and removed a lot of different cydia tweaks all the way back from the 4.0.1 jailbreak. So when I upgraded to 4.3.1 and did the jailbreak I decided to set my phone up as a new device.

I've got everything working great except for my camera roll is empty. I know these pictures/videos are in my previous backup but I don't want to restore from it because it was getting pretty crapped up with cydia tweaks. Does anybody know of a way to recover these pics/videos?

2. drummr macrumors regular

Why didn't you back them up before restoring? I don't know of any way to recover them other than restoring from the backup.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You can retrieve the photos by restoring from the back up, and copying them off, but you CANNOT put them back into a camera roll, they won't work

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Yes and no. I'm not sure why people leave all of their photos in the camera roll to begin with, but that's a matter of personal preference. I copy all of my photos to my Mac via iPhoto every time I sync my iPhone, and then use iTunes to sync them back.

BUT if you REALLY want those photos in the camera roll (as opposed to another folder synced in photos, which is what I would recommend), you could do the following:
    1. Restore your iPhone to the backup.
    2. Email the photos to yourself.
    3. Restore iPhone
    4. Recover photos back to camera roll via email.

You could also do variations of this using Safari or Dropbox. Sounds like a lot of work just to get them back in the Photo Roll, but if that's what you're trying to do, go for it. If you just want the photos back on your phone, restore, upload to computer, sync via iTunes.

5. jermy4 thread starter macrumors demi-god

I just forgot about the pictures that were in the camera roll. I just want the pictures back, I don't care if they are in the camera roll or not. Looks like I have to restore from my old backup to get them back.

So I guess I can restore from my old backup -> get the photos off of it -> them restore back to my more recent backup?

6. enzom21 macrumors 6502

You really don't even need to do that. Download http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/ find the backup with your old camera roll on it and extract it and move it to your phone with diskaid or iphone explorer it goes in Media/DCIM/100APPLE.