Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I came from a 128gb 6sP to a 7P 128gb and my computer shows 70gb in Other, I have mostly everything in iCloud but I hate that texts don't backup as well as the health app, keyboard shortcuts and few others yet I feel its important to setup as new, what do you all do? Any recommendations?

shoodi

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I personally always set up as new to start a fresh experience on the new phone. I only back up contacts to iCloud and restore contacts from iCloud all the other backups occur on the computer. I keep them on pic for safe keeping.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I personally always set up as new to start a fresh experience on the new phone. I only back up contacts to iCloud and restore contacts from iCloud all the other backups occur on the computer. I keep them on pic for safe keeping.
So how do you restore the other stuff such as pics and such

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Always set up as new. Even when doing updates, especially when jumping from say 9.x to 10.x. iPhone, iPad, always restore and setup as new. Best experience.

You can restore/upload pictures. Contacts, I store them on the iMac and then use iTunes and the iTunes info toggle to "replace contacts on this iPhone," which is an option when your phone is connected to your Mac.

I don't store my contacts in iCloud. I don't store much of anything in iCloud given all the successful hacks. Calendar syncing and reminders is basically what I use it for, and that's only for the extreme convenience; I'd prefer never having to use it.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I've always backed up and restored but this time I setup as new, didn't take long to get it setup how I wanted so will probably setup as new from now on.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I feel iCloud is so convenient. What if your hard drive crashes or computer gets stolen etc. The only issue is I don't want to reload the "other" GB crap but miss my health data and text

shoodi

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Usually I save pics and everything on my pic/homeserver. I transfer them using iTunes if I need them otherwise everything is new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.