Setup as New or Restore from iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Sep 22, 2016.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I came from a 128gb 6sP to a 7P 128gb and my computer shows 70gb in Other, I have mostly everything in iCloud but I hate that texts don't backup as well as the health app, keyboard shortcuts and few others yet I feel its important to setup as new, what do you all do? Any recommendations?

2. shoodi macrumors newbie

shoodi

I personally always set up as new to start a fresh experience on the new phone. I only back up contacts to iCloud and restore contacts from iCloud all the other backups occur on the computer. I keep them on pic for safe keeping.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So how do you restore the other stuff such as pics and such

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Always set up as new. Even when doing updates, especially when jumping from say 9.x to 10.x. iPhone, iPad, always restore and setup as new. Best experience.

You can restore/upload pictures. Contacts, I store them on the iMac and then use iTunes and the iTunes info toggle to "replace contacts on this iPhone," which is an option when your phone is connected to your Mac.

I don't store my contacts in iCloud. I don't store much of anything in iCloud given all the successful hacks. Calendar syncing and reminders is basically what I use it for, and that's only for the extreme convenience; I'd prefer never having to use it.

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Anything saved in iCloud will transfer even when starting new.

6. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I've always backed up and restored but this time I setup as new, didn't take long to get it setup how I wanted so will probably setup as new from now on.

7. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel iCloud is so convenient. What if your hard drive crashes or computer gets stolen etc. The only issue is I don't want to reload the "other" GB crap but miss my health data and text

8. shoodi macrumors newbie

shoodi

Usually I save pics and everything on my pic/homeserver. I transfer them using iTunes if I need them otherwise everything is new.

9. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Setup as new didn't transfer my keyboard shortcuts