Other Setup as new phone or restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Sep 21, 2018.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

I've been using iOS 10 all the way to 12.1 beta on my old iPhone 6 Plus for the past 4 years and have never performed a clean install once. I was wondering would it be better since I got a new iPhone Xs to set it up as new instead of performing a restore from backup in iTunes?

I'm afraid there's so much junk that could potentially slow my phone from all those years of updating to beta iOS software. What do you guys think?

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Just my opinion. But, if you ran beta's and such, I would setup as new...

3. Calebtt macrumors member

Agreed

4. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I like to setup as new so that it gives me a chance to rid myself of the crappy apps I never use anymore.

7. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

Is the risk any lower restoring from an iCloud backup?

8. syphern macrumors 6502

If you set up from new can you restore your iMessages and WhatsApp messages back? I need those messages.

9. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

The only thing important that I'll be missing when setting as new is all my imessages and emails... since I don't use imessage in the cloud, it's way too large to store in the cloud. I have messages going all the way back from 2014, that's 4 years worth of messages.

Is there a way to restore imessages and email only from a backup?

10. millydog macrumors 6502

millydog

I have gone backwards and forwards on this myself. I set my phone up as new and it was nice to have a clean phone and to pick only the apps that I need. But then I found that some things were missing....like I had to set my Apple Watch up as new again, some apps were missing content and games had lost progress (ones that don’t back up to the cloud).
    So I’ve just decided to restore from my backup again. Then I know that I have everything on my phone. It’s still downloading the apps after the restore, but once it’s done, I’ll do an app clean up and remove apps that I haven’t been using.

11. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

I feel like the money spent on a month of iCloud storage would be worth it to avoid the hassle of other options

12. Teach4 macrumors 6502a

Teach4

13. reyalP macrumors 6502

reyalP

Is there a way to setup as new but still keep the activity app data? I would hate to lose my workout data.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I was running DB and decided I didn't want to keep running it on my main phone, so I set the iPhone XS Max up as new.

15. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

I restored from iTunes backup and it took all of ten minutes after doing phone to phone setup. This was the fastest I’ve ever seen it get up and running out the box

16. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I’ve been restoring from backups since iPhone 5 no issues