Setup Assistant Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eighty6, Mar 5, 2013.

1. eighty6 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've currently got a late 2007 iMac 24'' running Mountain Lion, I'm buying a newer late 2009 iMac 27'' from a friend as an upgrade.

The 27'' has been factory restored which has rolled the OS back to Snow Leopard. I use time machine for my back-ups and have read Pondini's guide to using Setup Assistant which is great (http://pondini.org/OSX/SetupLion.html)

I'm guessing once I boot into snow leopard and login to the app store it will automatically download Mountain Lion but how can I then boot as a new mac and restore from my time machine back-ups? Hopefully this makes sense

Thanks for any help

Brad

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can do so from Recovery, hold the Command-R at startup and then choose "Restore From TimeMachine BackUp"

[​IMG]

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Do a fresh install of Snow Leopard and then use Setup Assistant, that will be your ONLY opportunity. Once you have migrated from the old Mac to the new one then purchase and install Mountain Lion. That is the safest and most efficient method.

4. eighty6 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is my current iMac is running Mountain Lion and my Time Machine back-ups are also obviously from ML too, doesn't that mean they wont be compatible with setup assistant on Snow Leopard? :confused:

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I am going to honest to you, I actually don't know, I think it won't overwrite the System but don't take my word for it.
    This is one of the reasons I don't use TimeMachine because I am not in control, I prefer having an external disk cloned with Carbon Copy Cloner, it is bootable and TM is not, I also can choose myself what to copy and what not.

It should not revert the system, Apple normally makes it so that it's easy for the end user so I am pretty sure it won't.
    But I suggest to wait for others to chime in.

6. boto macrumors 6502

boto

After updating the OS on the new machine you should be able to migrate all of your information from the initial bootup setup assistance by selecting the "Backup from Mac" after registration. All of your data and settings should be identical, but serials and some software will need to be reinstalled and reconfirmed (e.g Adobe suite, Final Draft, Little Snitch, etc.).

7. eighty6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok sounds good, so I'll be able to do this from my external hard drive with my time machine backups on?

Will the CMD+R at startup not work as suggested by justperry once I've updated the OS to ML?

Thanks

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what I would do, and I think is easiest.

Connect your Time Machine external disk to the new machine and option key boot. When the boot selector screen comes up pick the Time Machine disk. This will get you to a screen that looks just like the normal recovery screen.

Start Disk Utility and erase the internal drive then quit Disk Utility. Now click restore and drink a beer while it finishes. :)

This will restore the ML OS and all your data.

9. eighty6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the info! Sounds like the best bet! Fingers crossed...

10. eighty6 thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked perfectly, took about 2 1/2 hours! Thanks very much for the info

Brad

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You bet... glad it worked out for you.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You missed an important step. Which brand beer?

/Jim

13. eighty6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah, none! I'm in training for the Paris marathon so no beer I'm afraid to say!