Setup Assistant keeps popping up after 10.5.2 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iJED DV, Feb 13, 2008.

1. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

Last night, I downloaded the 10.5.2 update. When I went to restart, Finder gave me an error, saying it could not restart because a process was still in progress. I had an error message from a file transfer from an external hard drive that wouldn't close after the error went away. I tried going to the Apple menu and clicking Restart and Shut Down, but I kept getting the "process in progress" message.

Eventually I hit the power button and did a hard shut down. When it booted back up, the computer launched directly into Setup Assistant like I had never used the computer before. After trying everything I could think of, I filled in the fields for Setup Assistant. As soon as I hit the Done button, the screen flashed a couple of shades of blue and then brought me back to the first screen for the Setup Assistant to start the whole process over.

According to Apple's support page, the fix for this is:
    If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Support Downloads to update.
    However, how do I download this and/or install it if I can't get past the Setup Assistant.

Even when I click on the Apple menu and select About this Mac, Software Update, or even Shut Down, nothing happens. Can anyone help?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

On the brighter side, once installed, 10.5.2 is supposed to squash that bug.

The instructions I've seen on how to get around the Setup Assistant issue was to hold the SHIFT key down as your computer reboots, which starts it up in Safe Mode.

When you get to the logon screen, shut it down (instead of logging on).

Hopefully that works for you! :)