Setup ATV3 / Itunes without Internet

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by spuggyleeds, Feb 17, 2014.

1. spuggyleeds macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has been covered but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I have over 500 DVDs encoded and in iTunes on my Home Network with Apple TV3, Windows PC and external 4TB HDD. This all works fine, however I would like to take a backup of my iTunes and another ATV3 and set these up at my girlfriend's house. She does not have internet, but I wanted her to be able to have a backup copy of my iTunes library so she can watch my films via her own Windows laptop, ATV3 and external HDD.

Is it possible to set this up and have it working without the Internet?

Any help would be greatly received.

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Question........

Why does your GF even have a laptop if she has no internet service? She just uses it as a word processor???

Anyways, she really doesn't need an ATV to view itunes content you ripped and loaded. Copy all that content to another external drive. Connect that to her laptop and she can use Windows media player to view all the content.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Regardless of whether or not she has internet, she'll need a home network. And I'm betting the ATV needs an internet connection at least sometimes, if not constantly.

4. linds15 macrumors 6502a

this. theres another thread where some users can get home sharing to work without internet (after an initial setup with internet), but many such as myself need a constant internet connection to use home sharing

5. spuggyleeds thread starter macrumors newbie

She bought a flat a year ago and still hasn't managed to get the Internet. She's not very up to date with technology. And yes, I think that's all she uses the laptop for :rolleyes:

I'm moving in in a few months and that'll be the first thing I order.