Setup.exe File?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Caulin, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Caulin macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I was wondering, after bootcamp installs windows and your using it. You have to click the setup.exe file. My question is, how does windows access your hardware before you click setup.exe? is it using the usb flash drive? or is mac os still "running"? also how can i view all the threads i have posted in or started? i can't figure out how unless i surf the threads and find them again. Thanks

2. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

If Windows is running directly under a partition on your primary storage device, and not in a virtual machine, it is not being virtualized under Mac OS X. It is running directly off the hardware. If you're using a virtual machine, ie. in a BootCamp Window while Mac OS X is running, it is being virtualized. So, if you have Windows booted on a partition, Mac OS X will not be running at the same time.

If you're asking how Windows accesses the hardware before clicking the setup file, you must already be running Windows, so the above explanation applies before you click the file, unless you are using CrossOver, Darwine, WineBottler or Mono.

If this isn't the answer you're looking for, you'll need to word it in a different way, because I'm not sure what you're asking if this isn't the right answer.

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Do you mean the setup.exe file in the Bootcamp folder?
    Windows accesses as much as it can with a basic set of Windows drivers pre-installed. However, on a Mac some devices will not work fully, or at their best with those drivers.
    Apple supply Windows support software so that these devices can work properly.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you are creating that setup.exe file in OSX during the bootcamp assistant process

driver files are small so my assumption is apple has driver files for all the hardware apple knows they put in their machines and put them all on the USB, I dont think one persons USB is any different than the next persons as long as they are using the same release from apple

so now moving along to windows, once its intalled and running, windows OS can now detct what hardware you have and it only install the drivers that match your hardware

hope that helps what your asking but like others I am not 100% sure of your question

5. Caulin thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i wasn't clear. I already installed windows 7 on a separate partition using bootcamp. During the process, you have to click the setup.exe file. This is after you install windows on the partition bootcamp made. The setup.exe file downloads and installs all the drivers for your mac to run windows. I was wondering what windows 7 uses as drivers BEFORE you click setup.exe. Because before you click setup.exe the drivers are not installed on the partition, the screen looks funky and the mouse works weird, you can't right click with the mouse or anything. So what does windows 7 use to access your macs hardware BEFORE you run setup.exe?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

window has enough built in drivers to function, and to be able to install the the setup.exe file

in therory if you knew all your hardware you can get the drivers from the manufacture of each hardware compenents website but OSX tries to make it simplier by making that driver USB for you

7. Caulin thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the info