Setup Extreme and Express to a Linksys router (E2100L)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ljv35, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ljv35 macrumors newbie

Having issues in setting up my Apple Extreme + Apple Express to my Linksys E2100L ROUTER/NETWORK. I have Green lights on my extreme and express with the Linksys router having the extreme attached to the router (ethernet) with express in another room for my Blu-ray. The Linksys does not see the Extreme or Express. I am using WPA2 Security on the Linksys router. How can I get the Linksys to see the Apple Extreme/ Express? Is there something I need to do on the Linksys end or on the Extreme/Express so that they can talk to each other?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Airport Extreme is a Wireless-N router. Your new Linksys is also a Wireless-N router. Why are you trying to connect multiple routers together?

3. ljv35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am hooking up a linksys router because I thought that Apple just uses a password for security purposes, and also that I have Vonage and need to install it before router. I like a private IP than a public one.

4. cmdrdredd macrumors member

You'll have to set the Linksys as a client on the network and set an Ip for it that does not conflict with any other on the network. Then you must forward the proper ports to the Airport if you are using that as your router.

There's an easy way to do it if you are willing to flash the Linksys with DD-WRT firmware. Otherwise I don't know specifically where to set this.

5. Alfihar macrumors member

Do you want a setup like this:

Internet --- [Linksys] -- ethernet cable -- [Airport Extreme] >> wireless >> [Airport Express]

If so on the Airport Extreme have you tried setting the Internet > Internet Connection to be Connect Using: "Ethernet" and Connection Sharing: "Off (Bridge Mode)", this will mean that the Linksys will be able to hand out private IP addresses to all the machines on the network which are connected to any of the wireless routers. Instead of the Linksys handing out one private IP to theAirport Extreme, then the Airport Extreme handing out another set of private IP's.