Setup Google Apps Email as Exchange Account in Apple Mail??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by That-Guy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I have a Google Apps Email Address setup on my iPhone and iPad as an Exchange Account so I get push email. I have tried the same settings in Apple Mail in Yosemite but they do not work.

Anyone using a Google Apps Email setup as an Exchange Account in Apple Mail? or even know of a site with instructions?

Thanks in Advance!

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

Google never - ever - used EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) for their accounts - they used a version they created for their own use and it was called "Exchange". Google "Exchange" was never Exchange IMAPI and never will be - I'm not being critical - I was a paid Google Apps user for years until Office 365 came out. Google published the differences between their service and EAS - I found their service wanting for lack of features and switched to Office 365. If you're looking to use Google services, use the "Google" in the accounts as they're provided - Google Sync is pretty much as Google intended.

FWIW, EAS wasn't nailed down for quite some time, and "Exchange" as we call it is far different than what Google offers. Google generally offers open source formats for synching - WebDAV, CardDAV - and not the Exchange IMAPI that MS uses...