Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
here's a link to original post - setup iPhone 5 for att mvno: h2o, t-mobile, straight talk, gsm – no jailbreaking

thank verizon for shipping factory unlocked iPhone 5!
photo-11.jpg

yes it works, just cut the current gsm sim card, put it in and vu a la – it will work! (i’ve got it working with h2o and t-mobile) – no jailbreaking / gevey required.

here are the instructions:

1) cut the sim card to nano size. basically take the current nano-sim out, put it next to your current sim card and use a big knife :)
but here’s a very helpful printout

tip: use an old, non wokring sim-card to practice

2) in order to change your apn settings so Internet works, you’ll need to enable “cellular network data” option under settings > general > cellular.

t-mobile sim card ($20 at any t-mobile store) is your ticket

then, use this sim swipe trick

then change your APN settings (e.g. h2o, here are others)

(when using gsm, 5 supports up to 6gb down speeds – “4g”)
ps: good luck and do not update iOS 6 (or you might lose this unlock :(

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
(when using gsm, 5 supports up to 6gb down speeds – “4g”)
ps: good luck and do not update iOS 6 (or you might lose this unlock :(

This makes no sense. The iPhone 5 ships with iOS 6.

Secondly, I've gotten nearly 9Mbps using my iPhone 4S on AT&T when at the Philly airport. I fail to see how it's limited to only "6gb" (Mbps, not gb) on HSPA+, if the carrier (AT&T) supports higher than that in certain areas.

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
This makes no sense. The iPhone 5 ships with iOS 6.

Secondly, I've gotten nearly 9Mbps using my iPhone 4S on AT&T when at the Philly airport. I fail to see how it's limited to only "6gb" (Mbps, not gb) on HSPA+, if the carrier (AT&T) supports higher than that in certain areas.

correction, i get 6gb down in chicago, yes the tech is capable (real life vs ability)

either way, 3x 3g + latest iPhone + $50/m = makes complete sense to me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.