Setup Network with N and G speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mik34, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mik34 macrumors member

I searched but couldn't find anything about this. I'm fairly new setting up networks. I have an AEBS with wireless N (NOT the new one which would solve my problem). I also have a Belkin wireless G router. I would like to set up a network where my new macbook can take advantage of the wireless N speed and not be slowed by my wireless G devices.

Current setup:
    iMac (early 2006) wired to AEBS (G speed max if wireless)
    iphone 3G wireless (G)
    PS3 wireless (G)
    Macbook wireless (N capable)

Is there a way to setup my AEBS so only the macbook sees it so it gets full wireless N speeds then use the Belkin G router for the other devices?

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

You can set the AEBS to run a pure n network and use a cable to connect the Belkin. Set that one to run a g network with a different name. One of the two needs to be connected to the internet (DSL or cable modem) and then set to run the wired network and assign addresses via DHCP, the other needs to be in bridge mode.

3. mik34 thread starter macrumors member

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

The easiest setup would be to connect the Belkin to the modem and connect the AEBS to the Belkin. Then run AirPort Utility and in Manual Setup, in your Internet tab, set Connection Sharing to "Off (Bridge Mode)".

You probably could turn the DHCP off on the Belkin and use the AEBS as your primary router, but Apple makes it way easier to do it the other way around.