Setup new iMac with SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 3587, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I am planning on purchasing the new 2012 iMac with the SSD from the factory (when they are released of course)... I am moving from a 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad Core to the top of the line iMac... I am pretty particular about how I setup my new computer, especially with this new one... I have a lot of stuff that I don't want transferred over using Migration Assistant... Preferences, apps, printer drivers, languages, etc.

I would really like to immediately erase the SSD of the pre-installed OS and install a fresh one, eliminating many things I do not need... Like languages, printer drivers, some apps, etc.

How can I do that? I'm not familiar with the SSD and the proper way to format it... I am also not familiar with Lion and how to do that without an install disc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Starting with Lion, some things (such as printer drivers) are not loaded as part of the core OS. They are loaded on demand.

Is there a reason to avoid this other than space? My understanding that the space premium is actually quite minimal now.

/Jim

3. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Can't help with much, but you can download Lion from the MAS and locate the file, right-click, view contents, and burn the DMG to install.

4. mellofello macrumors 65816

Just setup imac as a new computer, and go into your time machine backup to move over the specific things you want transferred. Just did this and it works like a champ. Apps, and media transferred exactly as I left them. However everything taking up space was left behind. I tripple checked that I was satisfied, did a alternate media, and document backup. Then deleted the old time machine completely.

Squeaky clean install of Lion