Setup that I am ordering tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by /dev/toaster, Sep 14, 2008.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

2. kalex macrumors 65816

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Aside from the display (only because there are so many different ones) that's a pretty common setup.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i would go for a 30" if u are gonna get a pro

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's kind of a silly comment. Depending on what the OP does on his Pro, he might not even need a 30 incher.

6. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I will get one down the road, just not right now as its a bit pricey. Once I get a better primary monitor, the one listed above will become my secondary.

For the time being, that one will be the primary and my old 15" will be my secondary.

7. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Congrats with this nice configuration! About an Apple display: it's not only a money issue today, but they have to be updated quite soon, so buying an ACD right now could be a tough decision.

8. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

I just ordered the exact same setup, except for an ACD instead of the Samsung.

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Nonsense! I'm using this Gateway HD2200 22" on my Mac Pro. :p

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? I absolutely agree that they need to be, but why do they HAVE to be? Apple doesn't care about them, as evidenced by the fact that they still have a 16ms response time and no built-in iSight or IR sensor for the Apple Remote.

Don't even get started with HDCP. Apple's not going there.

11. bbq2k macrumors newbie

bbq2k

Resolution

Something to consider in your monitor choice is the native resolution. This one has 1680 x 1050, and if you're going to go through the trouble and expense of adding the prosumer HD video card, you might want to consider a monitor that can display 1080p natively.

12. almostinsane macrumors regular

Sure they are. They need to get Blu-ray authoring into the Pro Apps. Blu-ray needs HDCP and AACS to work.

13. agrayphoto macrumors newbie

The Samsung looks OK for a cheap monitor. But you might want to rethink your RAM. See here: http://barefeats.com/harper3.html

I would recommend buying 6 1Gb to go with the 2 that come with to fill each slot for faster throughput.

14. MrMax macrumors newbie

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uhh... no. You can burn HD video content to Blu-ray disks without the cruDRM used by film companies.

16. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

That's why I went with the Samsung t220, 2ms response time is rather nice. The ACD is overpriced for what you get, if Apple had refreshed their line recently I might have considered it.

The Samsung t220 is to hold me over for a little while while I figure out what big screen I am going to get.

Don't get me wrong, I will have a huge screen attached to this Mac. Its going in the same area as my TV, so I am going to use the stock video card to connect to my 61" 1080p set. With the wireless keyboard, it will work pretty well.

Ouch, I didn't think of that. Hmmm, well if its a problem I will return it. Everything (except the Mac Pro) is already ordered. I didn't order the Mac Pro yet since they removed it from the refurb list. If it doesn't reappear by then I am going to take a walk to the Apple store and buy it.

Ah, interesting. Well, since the RAM is already ordered I am going to stick with what I have for now, however if I need to exchange the RAM for some reason this is the route I am going to go. Thanks for that link, I passed it along to a friend who is looking to buy a Mac Pro soonish.

17. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

18. almostinsane macrumors regular

You can't read commercial discs without it.

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You assume Apple want people to use their hardware to view bluray when the future is likely digital distribution and Apple have a hand in that market.