Setup that lowers your MBP temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rockadile, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Rockadile macrumors regular

I use my 2011 15" MBP in clamshell mode and just have it on my desk.
    I've seen pictures of the logic board and it looks like the CPU and GPU is in the middle area.
    I'm thinking of getting a stand that will expose the bottom to air or just use two stacks of index cards to have it lifted.
    Anyone have these?

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-...qid=1453847848&sr=8-21&keywords=macbook+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...&qid=1453847848&sr=8-6&keywords=macbook+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Alumin...qid=1453847848&sr=8-16&keywords=macbook+stand

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

It should be capable of cooling itself sufficiently. But you could also consider manually increasing the fan speeds if you're worried.

I had the TwelveSouth, and I know this isn't a popular opinion on these forums, but I despise it. The laptop is unsecure in it and can wobble from side to side. Add to that the fact that it caused so much strain on my hinge clutch cover that it resulted in two cracks towards either end.

There's also the TwelveSouth HiRise that you might consider.

3. Rockadile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your insight on the TwelveSouth.

I'm just getting annoyed by the fan noise at this point. You should know how it sounds at 6000+ rpm.
    Trying to avoid max speed as much as possible during photo editing.

I use mac fan control and have the fan speed up from 50C to 95C right now. Idles around 54C.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I have the first one. I don't use it anymore. It's a pain in the ass if you want to grab your laptop to do some normal style use like sit on the couch with it, or for some reason want to use its display from time to time.

Instead, I went and got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OOYECC

Larger foot print, but the added convenience mentioned above when I need it makes up for that to me.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think that with a 4 or 5 year old MBPro, you should consider a re-paste of the thermal compound.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've got an earlier Griffin iCurve, from 2006. Used it on various MacBook Pros over the years. Helps temps a bit but not enough to reduce the noise.

Fan noise will be down to the external display in clamshell mode switching in the dGPU permanently. It will accelerate the probability of heat related failure of the dGPU as is common in the 2011 15"/17".

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Hah, I know. I have the exact same machine, also in clamshell mode.

8. v3nom macrumors member

A stand is always good! I am using the mStand and am very pleased.
    Sth else you can do is to disable the turbo of your CPU with the "Turbo Boost Switcher for OS X".

9. monstruo macrumors regular

monstruo

Roost Stand. I have both versions. The latest version (v2) has height options which makes working long hours on laptop more comfortable. And it keeps my laptop cool.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've always preferred the 'henge' dock personally. Less mess

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I think its an elegant solution.

OP, have you tried cleaning out your laptop, being a few years old now, the intake vents and fans may have a bit of dust inhibiting the cooling.

12. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 model so I should probably replace the thermal paste as mentioned above.

I have a cheapo stand with a built in fan powered by USB. I use this when doing intensive tasks, and it definitely helps with heat reduction and CPU throttling. But then of course that fan makes noise. There's not too much you can do about fan noise, especially when using it as you described. It's like stomping the gas in your car and expecting to not hear the engine.