Setup Tips for iPad as Gift for MIL

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ChargerSteve, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ChargerSteve macrumors member

We just bought an iPad (16/ WiFi) for my mother-in-law as a gift. (Before you start with the mother-in-law jokes, know that I lucked out and my MIL is an exceptionally wonderful lady.) She's having a birthday soon and I wanted to get it all setup for her before surprising her with it. Here are a few questions I'm hoping to get help with:

1. She has an older PC (maybe 6 y/o). I'm sure it's capable of running iTunes, but I'm debating on if I should just synch to my iMac and set her up to use that instead of her old PC. She lives in the same town and visits frequently enough that it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd like to load it up with pictures and some songs and movies from my library, which I think would be easier on my computer. I don't expect that she'll need to synch more than a couple of times a month, if that. Am I wrong? What would you advise? Her own iTunes account or mine?

2. She uses FaceBook, so I'll get that app for sure. I think she'll also enjoy Words with Friends. Any other must-have apps you'd recommend for her (I realize you don't know much about her, but asking anyway...).

3. Any other advise for setup in advance that might make it easier and more enjoyable for her?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

For Facebook I would recommend just adding the link to the homescreen, there's no iPad app for it. Also, if she watches any shows on abc, abc player is good.

I guess the best thing to do really is just think of her interests and check the app store for anything related to them.

3. ChargerSteve thread starter macrumors member

No Facebook iPad app? Huh, I just figured there would be one. I've got the iPhone app. Maybe on the iPad's larger screen the website is better than an app...

The iPad was delivered today and looks like it is DOA. I'm on hold with Apple Support right now... I purchased a refurb, maybe that was a mistake. I've had good luck with Apple refurbs in the past (iMac and first generation Apple TV). Oh well, they set me up with an appt at the local Apple Store on Sunday for a repair or replacement.

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Nope. No Facebook app. The iPhone app just runs in the phones native resolution on the screen but using the website in safari on the iPad is actually pretty nice. It doesn't have the mobile feel to it I guess you could say.

That sucks about the refurb. From what I've heard, refurbs are usually better than new because they go through a certain amount of testing before reselling them. They should hook you up with a working one no problem.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Put some news apps on there. Like NY Times, BBC, ABC, AP, etc. Put iBooks on there too, the iPad also serves as an eBook reader. Pandora and other radio apps are also good choices. The iPad is a media consumption device more than anything else.

I'd would also give her an iTunes gift card. Like $25 and show her how to redeem it. She gets a tutorial on how to enter in alphanumerics on the iPad's virtual keyboard and as well as exposure to the App Store. And she gets some money to buy apps and other content.

6. ChargerSteve thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far, but any advice on my first question regarding synching to my computer vs. hers? I did load iTunes on her old windows PC the other day and it runs, but really slowly (even with just a few CDs worth of music). I'm leaning towards just synching to my iMac with her own iTunes account. Any pitfalls with that?

7. alhajis macrumors member

Wait?

There is a Facebook app for iPad... It's called Friendly. I'm using it right now and to me, it's better than the website. Very Clean!

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I just downloaded Friendly, it's pretty good. I guess I was trying to say no 'official' Facebook app. Oh well, you can disregard my earlier post then :rolleyes: