Setup to Share files with windows xp and Lion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Colors6, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Colors6 macrumors member

May 8, 2011

Note - I am not sure if this forum is the right place for this thread. The mods can move it to an appropriate forum if they want.

I have 2 computers on my home wifi network. One is running Windows XP and the other is running OSX.

Right now Windows XP can access the public folder of OSX via SMB.

I am going to upgrade to the new version of OSX - Lion.

Lion OS does not have SMB. Due to that Windows XP will not be able to access the public folder of Lion OS.

I am looking for an alternate location on my local network where I can put the files that I want to WIRELESSLY share with Windows XP.

Can anyone suggest a cheap solution? Storage of not more than 2 GB would be enough.
  2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Jan 28, 2009
    dropbox would work and if you keep it under 2 gigs it is free.
  3. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

May 8, 2011
    I want a local network solution. I will be sharing 2 gb worth of data every day. I want that to happen in minutes. That won't happen on my low Internet bandwidth.

Putting it on the Internet is not practical/fast for me because of low bandwidth and data capping.
  4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Why people still run XP is beyond me... so archaic its unreal. A router with a USB port would allow any system to access it.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 with an attached 1TB drive to it, paritions NTFS (since the router only sees NTFS, FAT or FAT32 paritions), then I just installed NTFS for MAC. This router costs roughly $130, this may be the cheapest solution.

Cheaper than a TC or a NAS.
  5. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

May 8, 2011
    Because of net books. They have cheap hardware which run well with XP.
  6. SPBMacintosh macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2011
    My imac and windows laptop connect automatically through our o2 wireless box, took zero setting up. Both computers recognised eachother when both were turned on and connected to the same network [​IMG]
  7. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

May 8, 2011