Setup up iPhone 5 as new and transferring contacts + notes, rather than full restore?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by i3six5, Oct 2, 2012.

1. i3six5 macrumors member

Hi,

Hopefully someone can answer my question?

I have been reading about icloud backup's on the iphone 5 draining the battery etc. So with my new iphone I intend to setup it up as new.

However, once I have done this, how do I get my contacts + notes on to my iphone5 without doing a full restore?

Do I just go into settings, enter all my Icloud details and sync? My only fear of this is, icloud will sync to everything on my new iphone
    which has no information on it, rather than transfer from icloud to my iphone 5.

I hope someone can help me?

Thanks.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Just set it up as a new phone and sign into iCloud. It will download everything from your iCloud account onto the phone. Notes, Reminders, etc as long as you have them synced to iCloud from your other device.

3. i3six5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply mate!

I 100% synced my iPhone 5 with iCloud before I took it back to apple for being scuffed / dented.

So just to confirm, I can set up as a new iPhone and then go into settings, sign into iCloud and it will automatically download my contacts, notes etc?

Cheers.

4. i3six5 thread starter macrumors member

5. Xavier macrumors 68030

Yes. This is how iCloud works and what allows you to view the same content on multiple devices.

6. mac mac mac macrumors regular

It'll work as long as your contacts are synced with iCloud. In fact, that's what I did when I got my iPhone 5. I set it up as a new phone, sign in to my iCloud, and of all my contacts reappeared like magic :D Good luck!

7. Orka macrumors regular

I did same, but only contacts reappered, notes are missing. Do you know how to get them back w/o doing full restore?

Also, may be anyone knows, i bought ringtone in itunes store, already twice (same rington!), but it never appears in purchased section after i set up as new for some reason. This isn't right.

8. mac mac mac macrumors regular

Are you using iCloud for your notes? You can verify that by going to Settings-->Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Make sure Notes is turned on for iCloud. Your notes should reappear on your new device.