Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smattmul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I bought a iphone when they came out and have been waiting for the day i could afford to have a mac pro. They are cool but i cant understand paying 1500 for a big apple monitor. I thought i could get alot more TV for less.

So here's an easy one, i need a 32" tv/monitor (i dont know the difference) to go with my future mac pro. toss me a suggestion please.

I will use it in my Tiny dorm to watch tv through an eyetv product.

I would love to go bigger but everyone is a winie pants and says word processing would not work. BUT I HAVE A DELL for that laim stuff

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Check out the selection of screens at TigerDirect to get a feel for the cost and specs.

A Monitor usually has a higher resolution than a TV, also a TV has a built in Tuner, otherwise it is just a Display or Monitor. HDTVs are closeto or larger than current Monitors, but resolutions on computers are more fluid, so the standard resolution will become greater than 1080p TV (and many are now).

Word processing will work on any screen, it just becomes more layout and less word processing at higher resolutions.
TEG

smattmul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
last up

YAH i went to walmart today to check it out.
$1300 for a 42' 1080p

$1000 for 42" 720p or something like at

SO thats

1 modern tv of the size of your choosing, (either 1080 or 720)

or does it REALLY matter (1080p or 720p)

1 new mac pro

1 eyetv and eyetv software

1 DVI 2 HDMI cord
and I got a bad a** hd computer for watching HD movies or tv?

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
YAH i went to walmart today to check it out.
$1300 for a 42' 1080p

$1000 for 42" 720p or something like at

SO thats

1 modern tv of the size of your choosing, (either 1080 or 720)

or does it REALLY matter (1080p or 720p)

1 new mac pro

1 eyetv and eyetv software

1 DVI 2 HDMI cord
and I got a bad a** hd computer for watching HD movies or tv?

Check amazon, they have a 32" Sharp 1080p on sale for mid 800s...I would prefer that over a vizio

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I wouldn't really advise a TV for a display, but I've used one for one before. From what I've seen, the image isn't too great, nor is the resolution (even if it is 1080p). You could buy a Dell display for like $400 and get a much better image quality. You could use your TV tuner with that, as opposed to spending so much on something that's really undesirable in my eyes. However, I'm not going to stop you, it's just that I was never a fan of the whole TV as display thing. If you were to get one though, good luck with it.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
Try a Dell. I have heard only good things about the dell displays. I believe they have a 30" one. Just my two cents. Hope you find what you're looking for.

smattmul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
ok peeps,

I am going to wait till I move into a new dorm before I buy.

I am still unsure. you people are talking about image and I still fear getting black side bars (the whole non HD thing) or the mac pro picture looking pixilated at any and all views.

How about this senario to help idiot proof this thing. I pick with a blind eye a random HDTV w/ HDMI hole (of course).

Lets say it says in bold (720p) could I get by with watching TV on it???

i wish to waste no more of your time. just a yes will suffice or if i am missing the big picture

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I use a 720p 32 inch tv as a media center with a mini attached to it. It works fine for what I do. I can use it as a monitor ok too, assuming all you are doing is basic word processing and internet browsing it works just fine.

If I were you though... I'd get a 1080p (full hd) which has a resolution of 1900 by 1180 or so as opposed to the 720p which is only 1370 by 980 or something close to that. Higher resolution = better picture for computer monitor.

Get the SMALLEST size TV you can find at a 1080 resolution. That's usually a 37 inch or 32 inch. The 32 samsung? that someone mentioned a few posts up looks like a good option. That would give you the highest pixel density which = better picture.

Now... you can easily hook up your mac pro with a dvi to hdmi cord like you said to your tv. However, if you actually purchase a tv you won't need a eyetv tuner, since tvs have it built in, so UNLESS you want to record tv on your mac pro, you could just hook the tv into the cable in your dorm for tv and then switch inputs to the mac pro when you want to use it for downloads, dvds or actual computer work.

If you want to record the tv and send the tv through the mac pro then yes, you will need the eyetv hook up, which works quite well I must say. :) ... a benefit of this is that you could record a show on your macpro with the eyetv hookup and watch a different channel on your tv's tuner at the same time ... but you will need a 3 dollar cable splitter for that.

Anyway, go with 1080p 32inch tv if possible .... that would be your best option for the best of both worlds. Grab a wireless keyboard and laser mouse and you can surf from bed :)

You will ofcourse get better resolution (up to 2500 by 1600 or something like that) with a 30 inch MONITOR from dell... but like you said it will be very pricey and if you aren't doing detailed graphics work or anything super precise, or that demands a LOT of pixels and area, then you won't need it.

Go with the TV but get 1080p or FULL hdtv.

GL! :)

Edit:
the most IDEAL set up IMO is:

SPLITTER.gif

This allows you to
-Record shows on your mac pro with the eyetv software
-Watch a show via your tv input while recording something via your eyetv input to your macpro
-Watch tv via your eyetv channel input in a window while working on your mac pro
-Have your mac pro happily working away on something with full power and nothing allocated to your tv tuner since you have one in the tv
-have the best of both worlds

NOTE: Although... if you have the space, you could grab a 32inch LCD at 720p from walmart (vizios are cheap there) and a 22 inch monitor (acer or some cheaper brand if you don't care.. i have one, they are nice)

180 for monitor + 600 for the tv = less then 800... that might work too, nicer monitor for computer AND tv for cheaper then a good 1080p tv.... if you have room in your dorm.

new-Mac-owner

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Depands how big you want,I got a 52inch (hp) plasma from best buy that was a display model for around 1049 with a 250 gift card they gave me for signing up for rewards go look.Also got a full warenty from hp,The only thing was it was missing the remote which I orderd for 24.99 from hp,-GOOD luck check it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.