Seven hours battery normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetgirl85, Aug 25, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I bought a late 2013 rMBP about 2 months ago. I was getting more like 9 hours battery now I'm getting around 7. Is this normal? I checked activity monitor and doesn't seem like there are any apps draining the battery.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have read it, several times. Still doesn't answer me.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As stated in the FAQ, it depends on your workload and settings (brightness, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.). You won't always get the maximum life from a charge. It will vary moment-to-moment, based on the power demands at any given point in time. There's no such thing as "normal", as it varies widely from one machine to the other.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Then:

9hrs actual or 9hrs indicated by OSX or an app?

Now:

7hrs actual or 7hrs indicated by OSX or an app?

There will always be less going on on a fresh MBP (once Spotlight has completed its initial run), syncing/cloud apps are a good usage of battery without realizing it.

Post your energy usage and/or Option-click on the battery indicator in the menubar, what shows as using energy?

7hrs is well within a normal range. So is 9hrs (thats pretty good actually)

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Only showing safari? Should I use a different browser?

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope - Safari is about the best for battery life, I would suggest you install the Click-to-Flash extension to prevent tabs running Flash without you knowing.

What does the Energy Usage tab in the Activity Monitor show? What is your screen brightness set to?

8. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

That safari is 22? I'll try installing that extension. I've just decreased my screen brightness slowly so will see how that goes. Thanks :)

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

this new battery on my 2012 rMBP last 5 hour and 27 min for normal workflow. :apple:

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Oh I remember the days with my 2008 unibody when I was happy to get almost 3 hours before I had to stop and use my spare battery to continue working...