Seven week old Macbook 250GB hard drive failure

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tallpaul, Jan 27, 2010.

1. tallpaul macrumors member

My girlfriend's seven week old Macbook

2.26GHz : 250GB
    2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR3 memory
    250GB hard drive1
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Built-in 7-hour battery2
    Polycarbonate unibody enclosure

Took half an hour to boot and then wouldn't boot at all.

Booted from the dvd, tried repairing permissions but it was greyed out so tried repairing disc but six hours later it had stalled.

Rang Appl support again as I thought that being told just re install OSX and lose all my file was a bit rich!

Got then to agree that I don't want the problem to re occur so a new hard drive would be needed(I'll have to organize the file recovery myself, anyone know the best way as this Macbook has no firewire)

Is there anything else that I should get the repair company to check?

thanks

Paul

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

HDD failure sounds like a fair diagnosis. Happens to the best of us, hopefully the replacement will be better.

No help on file recovery I'm afraid. This is the bit where we all remind you how wonderful backups are, Time Machine in particular. :)

3. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

I've a Time Machine on order, I always back my music files(use my MBP13 for djing with Ableton Live) to my G5 but falied to back up my girlfriends Macbook.

I used Stellar Phoneix software recovery to get back years of deleted emails so as nothing has been deleted I'm hoping Ihave a good chance of gettig the photos of this failed drive

cheers

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

data recovery depends on the severity of the failure. if it is not too bad then their are apps out there that will do a sector by sector file recovery.