Sever WiFi connectivity problems .. HELP! PELASE!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by umbi24, Sep 10, 2012.

1. umbi24 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2010 iMac running mountain lion ( latest update) and i have never had problems connecting to the internet until now...

i recently moved to a new apt. and am using TWC roadrunning internet with Ubee DDW3611 bridged modem (because when i was using it as a wireless router it kept losing connection) and i am currently using a linksys wrt54g as my wireless router

This has been a nightmare set up, although i dont lose connection and it says im always connected my mps is around 1! and i am paying for 30mps. The router is on the other side of the apt ( its nyc not that far away) but my airport still says i have full bars.

i have opened up my linksys settings and changed the channel frequency from 1 to 11 and the even in the middle. But even thought it helps for about 15 min. after that it is still DEATHLY slow

im not too sure what to do at this point, im not sure if its my computer or its my router. ( my roommates who both are running HPs have no problem and my iphone has no problem)

Is it the linksys? but now its been with two wireless routers that have no worked so i am pretty discouraged

ANY SUGGESTIONS !!!!!!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Goodness that's old. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the router's on its way out. I used to have that router.. 3 or 4 routers ago.

Another possibility is just clogged airwaves. I use a utility called iStumbler to see what frequencies/channels are in use and how many wireless routers are nearby. It's not that hard to use to get some basic information. There's a good chance that the 2.4 GHz in your area is completely jammed up, and you should consider investing in a new router that supports 5 GHz.