Several issues when Macbook is asleep and when restarting

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stacyy, Jun 23, 2014.

1. stacyy macrumors newbie

Whenever I am done with my Macbook for the night, I click the little apple in the top left corner, and then click "sleep." It goes to sleep peacefully without any problems..but the mess this laptop puts me through afterwards leads me to believe I am doing something wrong.

First- I will go to use my MacBook after it has been sleeping. The laptop itself is closed, and the little white blinking light is on. Upon opening the macbook, the little white light disappears, and my Macbook has a dark screen. I press buttons, keys, etc. but the screen stays black and I cannot hear the fan or any sounds/sights that let me know the laptop is even on. If I close it, the white light will appear again, leading me to believe the laptop is still "on." After several attempts to awaken it without shutting it off, my only choice to get it to start working again is holding down the power button until I hear a "shutdown" sound. Then, I will press the button again and my Macbook will start up like normal.

Now this is annoying to do every single time I want to use my laptop after it has been sleeping. But that is only the beginning.

After I finally get my laptop on and running, several things are out of whack. The wifi is no longer connected, I have to search for the wifi then reenter the password- before this whole thing started, I never had to reenter my wifi password- it was always saved. In addition, the time and date are always off- usually something like an hour ahead and the date of December 1, 2000. I either have to open the time and date and fix them myself, or after a few minutes they seem to adjust on their own.

If all of this wasn't stressful enough, recently I updated Silverlight (I use Chrome) so I could continue watching Netflix. Now, every time I have to shutdown my laptop, go through the wifi password thing, update my time and date, I then go to watch Netflix- and it says there is an issue with my Silverlight and the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall it again.

Basically, I don't know if this is just my Macbook's way of telling me it is finally ******** the bed (I have had it since about 2010, but have taken very good care of it) or if there is an easy fix. I know I messed with the Display and Energy Saver settings under system preferences a while back, so I am not sure if I messed something up. Any advice would be great, since this is the only laptop I own and I use it constantly for school work (and of course the occasional Netflix marathon). Thank you in advance! :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Let me try to summarize this. The clock battery, sometimes called a PRAM battery, has died. It is understandable on laptops that are a few years old. You will need to order a new battery. It is a relatively affordable part.

As for the shutting down "sound" that is the hard drive parking its head. Continually doing that will cause corruption to the OS X partition. I recommend repairing permissions on your hard drive in Disk Utility and resetting the SMC! If that fails, I would try reinstalling OS X.