Several iTunes Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscuber9000, Sep 16, 2007.

1. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I am very interested in the iPod Touch, but I'm slightly hesitant with the whole iTunes thing. Hopefully, I can be reassured.

1. My sister has an iPod right now. Can I use the iPod Touch without getting a whole bunch of her songs on my iPod (and vice versa)?

2. Can you add album art to a song that you did not get from iTunes or from ripping a CD? I don't want that cool iPod Touch interface to be brought down because of songs with unknown album art.

3. Can you rip DVDs onto an iPod with iTunes? If not, is there an alternative way?

2. marvingaye macrumors member

Yes, you can drag or paste any image into iTunes to use as cover art.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

no iTunes cannot do that. i use Handbrake on my mac....i am assuming that you have Windows however?:cool:

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Yes. my wife has a 1G Shuffle, I have a 5G iPod, a 2G Shuffle and am getting a 1G touch. All these iPods live happily in the same iTunes library.

I sync each iPod it it's own master playlist. That way each iPod only syncs the songs in that playlist (plus other playlists if I want to make different ones).

Here's a screencap:
    [​IMG]

Here, anything in "Scott's Synced Music" automatically goes on my 5G. "Jenn's Synced Music" goes on my wife's Shuffle, and "Scott FM" is my 5-star rated music, which syncs to my Shuffle.

When I feel like it, I'll sync "Scott TV" or "Heavy Cult" or "White Stripes (Non-Album Tracks)" or whatever else I want to my 5G.

...or, you could just set your iPods to "Manually manage" and then drag & drop what you want on your iPod one at a time.

5. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help. :)

Is there a good program for Windows for ripping DVDs?

6. logicalnoise macrumors member

Handbrake is available for windows I have it installed but ahven't used it yet. I also have videora which can ripd dvds as well as convert otehr file formats(avi, xvid, etc.). Videora gave me good results with both TV shows and full movies. I did get some vidual artifacts here and tehre but overall terrific quality.

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Or just make separate libraries so you aren't crippled by syncing playlists.

8. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Crippled?

I had seperate libraries on a Windows box before I switched to a Mac and it was FAR MORE complicated to try and manage (each had to reside under each login... total mess).

How do you see telling your iPod to sync to these 3 or 4 playlists (instead of entire Library) as "crippling"? What do you think you're going to have to do when your library grows bigger than your iPod's capacity?