Several newbie questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dutchlimits, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Dutchlimits macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just purchased an Macbook Pro, very very happy with it. Working on it for 3 days now. I'm getting used to it very quickly and I'll never go back to Windows ever again. (Except bootcamp gaming;)) There are some little things that still arnt working for me so i'm asking you for your help.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" unibody 2010 model
    Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.5
    2.66 GHz Core i7
    4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA Geforce 3300M 512MB
    500 GB 7200 rpm hdd

Here are my questions:
    - I'm a big fan of uTorrent but i can't get Growl working with it, i've googled this and there should be an option in preferences but i can't find anything..
    - With mail, i can't get a overview of conversations.. with my iPad this is easy to-do but on my macbook i can't find it..
    - I can't get user pictures working in nimbuzz with WLM users.
    - In safari, when i have the mouse on a flash movie, game or anything else that's flash, i can't scroll... This should be fixed in flash 10.1 but it just doesn't work..

If you've got an answer on any of my questions, please mention it.
    Thanks in advance

2. Dutchlimits thread starter macrumors newbie

35 views and no one answers. I'll take my questions to another forum.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Would you have preferred 35 wrong answers? :rolleyes:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just an observation...

You gave it an hour and fifteen minutes with a thread title that does not describe anything at all. You had 35 views from people that didn't know what was inside, and when they looked, they could provide no help. If you create a thread title that is descriptive, then those with answer are the ones that find it and view it. In addition, you should create separate threads for separate questions and post them in the appropriate Forums.

I would change your thread title, but you have indicated you are moving on...

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

install ClickToFlash and block all that Flash ... it only eats up Battery and displays annoying Ads.

Plus you can still view what you want by clicking on it.

Other Forums? ... MacRumors is hands down the best for any questions. :cool:

6. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea, sorry... your questions are somewhat obscure to me. I really dont use those programs. There is a beta flash 10.2 that is available for download, maybe that will help with your issues.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

1. Add uTorrent manually through the growl system preferences pane.
    2. Not available on mac mail yet. Will probably be a feature of Lion.
    3. Haven't a clue what you are on about there.
    4. Safari always chokes on flash. I don't think alternative mac browsers do as much. Try chrome.

Finally... Have patience.

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

1. Switch to Transmission
    2. ?
    3. Switch to Adium
    4. Scroll in the Flash frame or the whole page?

9. Dutchlimits thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the stupid reaction. I had a bad day or something.
    The answers you guys gave me are helpfull.

Here we go again:

1. I'll use transmission. Thanks.
    2. Making my question more clear: If some one sends a mail, and if theres a reply to it, then another reply, i'd like to have it listed in one list to get an overview.
    3. I've already switched to Adrium as my main IM app, not perfect but it does the job. thanks
    4. I can't scroll when i have the mouse on a flash element, so when i have it next to the movie i can scroll, when its on the flash element it cant scroll.
    I will try out the beta, i cant do without flash because i use it a lot and it should work because it works on ****** windows too.

New question:
    After an hour Safari uses 1Gb of ram memory, is this normal?

Thanks guys

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Nice recovery. Oh, and um, it's a holiday weekend. Lots of people traveling and not checking in here...

11. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

True, nice feature. No idea if it can be added in Mail.app. Mail.app is extensible so maybe it is possible?

I personally like the fact the whole window will not scroll when the mouse is within an element on a webpage. Does seem odd for Flash. Maybe Safari does not distinguish between Flash and other elements, such as those for entering textual information, where scrolling within the element is helpful?

Some people notice memory leakage with Safari. Never an issue for myself but I guess it depends on how each person uses the browser.

12. DreamLand macrumors member

I think that you want to organize your email by threads. If that the case, you can do it in the mail. Chose "Organize by Thread" under "View".